Alright Richmond, today’s the Real Deal Holyfield! Real races with real racers, real finish lines, and real winners. IT BEGINS.
Today features two time trial races, both using the Team Time Trial course (which is the same course from yesterday’s early session). In a time trial, teams race against the clock not other racers. The teams have staggered start times, so this means you should see–from your chosen vantage point–a stream of racers zoom by over the course of the race. This time trial is kind of weird because the cyclists will be racing as part of their “trade teams” (like the Jelly Belly Cycling Team) not their national teams. You can read a preview of the men’s race here and a preview of the women’s race here.
Remember! Roads are closed an hour before and an hour after the races begin / end. Today, some highway ramps are affected. Don’t just assume you can jump on the interstate and avoid the whole shebang!
- Exit 74C of I-95
- Exit 78 of I-95
- The Belvidere Street exit of I-195
- The southbound entrance to I-95 from Hermitage
- The northbound entrance to I-95 on Boulevard
— ∮∮∮ —
Women’s Team Time Trial
Useful crossing points include: Laburnum, Broad, Robinson, Meadow, Harrison, 6th – 9th Streets, 14th, 21st, and 25th.
Men’s Team Time Trial
Same course as the women’s race, see above!
— ∮∮∮ —
quite humbled that the streets of richmond we know so well are now being ridden by the top 1,000 cyclists in the world. Around 75 countries sent athletes to this nine day event which will be broadcasted to 300 million people world wide and happens to be taking place IN OUR HOME TOWN. So if you can, go see it. even if it's just to hear all the different languages or get a peace sign and a fist pump from a pro French cyclist as they ride by. #rva #gopro @rvanews
— ∮∮∮ —
- How and where to watch this dang thing in person.
- How to watch the races on TV or on a digital TV equivalent of your choosing.
- How to ride the bus to the race.
- So, what all is closed?
- How to best enjoy the Big Bike Race™ as a family.
- Don’t forget to send us all of your amazing pictures!
- Attend one of the millions of supporting events all around town.
- And, always, always remember that there will not be 450,000 human beings downtown over the next week.