After trailing 16-4, Virginia Commonwealth University rattled off a 40-12 run to top the Wildcats 93-73 in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
Here’s the game in a Vine:
VCU fell behind 16-4 and looked entirely lost. Davidson’s offense, which topped VCU 82-55 on 3/5, continued eviscerating the Rams’ defense and the Wildcats’ front-court blocked shots at will. With 11:49 remaining in the first half, Mo Alie-Cox completed an and-1 on a put-back and VCU reeled off a 40-12/15-0 run to take a 44-28 halftime lead.
The Rams maintained pace in the second half while tallying more than 90 points in the regulation for the first time since November 20th.
Treveon Graham finished with 18 points (3-6 2PFG, 4-4 3PFG), 9 rebounds, and 2 assists. JeQuan Lewis added 13 points and 4 assists. Terry Larrier added 11 points and 5 rebounds. VCU finished 12-of-24 from 3-point range and 25-of-30 from the free-throw line.
Davidson only turned the ball over 9 times but shot a tough 7-of-26 from 3-point range.
Top performer: Mo Alie-Cox
18 points (5-8 2PFG, 8-10 FT), 8 rebounds, 1 turnover
Alie-Cox scored VCU’s first five points while establishing the Rams’ aggressive demeanor. Davidson lacked anyone who could match up with him physically, but it was his spirit that led the Rams to victory.
- Four VCU players scored in double figures and all nine Rams that played scored 4+ points.
- VCU ranks 296th nationally with a free-throw percentage of 65.7%. VCU is 60-of-76 (.789) from the charity stripe in Brooklyn including a 16-of-19 (.842) performance against Richmond and a 25-of-30 (.833) performance against Davidson.
- Terry Larrier is 14-of-15 on free-throws during the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- VCU put up 1.35 points per possession. They scored 0.80 points per possession on March 5th.
- Justin Tillman tallied 4 points, 3 rebounds, 3 blocks, and a steal in only 7 minutes of action.
VCU advances to the conference tournament finals for the fifth consecutive year. They play Dayton on Sunday at 1:00 PM on CBS. The Flyers beat the Rams 59-55 in the Siegel Center on 2/28.
— ∮∮∮ —
— ∮∮∮ —