Good morning RVA: Walking in a Winter Weather Warning wonderland
RVA’s under a Winter Weather Warning until tonight at 12:00 AM. There’s rain, ice, and snow on the way. Please be careful!
Good morning RVA! It doesn’t really matter what temperature it is, because depending on when you read this, it’s probably a lot colder than it is as I’m writing this. Temperatures started out around 35 °F at 6:00 AM this morning and will drop steadily throughout the day. Sleet will move in before 7:00 AM, switch over to snow once it gets cold enough (late morning), and continue for, like, ever.
There is a Winter Weather Warning issued for the Richmond area from 7:00 AM to 12:00 AM. Other than the 4 – 8 inches of snow expected, you should be super careful on the roads after temperatures start to plummet. Any liquid stuff is gonna turn into solid stuff in a hurry.
- Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico, Richmond City, and Petersburg City schools are all closed for Monday.
- UR, VCU, and VSU are closed.
- VUU will open at 10:00 AM (as of 6:30 AM)
- Since this storm starts off as rain, VDOT crews were unable to pretreat the roads with sand or salt.1 This is an important data point.
- If you’ve got somewhere to be today MAKE GOOD DECISIONS. No one wants to be stuck on iced-over roads as the entire city tries to make it home from work after drinking three cups of coffee with nowhere to pee.
The situation in Ukraine has deteriorated and Russian troops have moved in to the the Crimean peninsula. Here’s some required reading on the situation and a map (if, like me, your European geography isn’t super solid):
- Putin’s error in Ukraine is the kind that leads to catastrophe
- Putin’s War in Crimea Could Soon Spread to Eastern Ukraine
- The Crimean Tatars: A Primer
If you missed the 86th Academy Awards last night, which was delightfully hosted by Ellen Degeneres, here’s a quick run down of the major award winners:
- Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
- Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón for Gravity
- Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
- Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
- Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club
- Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o for 12 Years a Slave
- Best Writing — Original Screenplay: Her by Spike Jonez
This morning’s Instagram
— ∮∮∮ —
Want to automagically get Good Morning RVA in your inbox every morning? Sign up below!
- From VDOT: “VDOT was unable to pretreat roads in the Richmond District due to forecasted rain ahead of wintry precipitation. Crews will begin to apply salt and sand to the pavement once sleet and snow begin to fall; salt to melt snow and ice and sand to provide extra traction. Snow plows will be used once accumulations reach at least two inches. Interstates and primary roads will be the first roads treated and plowed, followed by secondary routes and neighborhood streets.” ↩
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There are no reader comments. Add yours.