Snow continues to fall in the region; things continue to close.
Update #4 — March 3, 2014; 10:36 AM
Curbside recycling is cancelled today (that's Red Mondays if you know your color/day combo). All collections will now slide one day.
TFC Recycling has just made the decision to cancel all RED MON curbside recycling collections for today, March 3. They have pulled all of their recycling trucks off the road at this time (7:58 am). All curbside recycling collections will now slide one day this week.
— ∮∮∮ —
Update #3 — March 3, 2014; 9:50 AM
Richmond.com has a good (and growing) list of restaurants that are closed today, this snowy and cold Monday. Plenty of restaurants normally close on Mondays, so dining options may be slim tonight. I'm sure if you stumble around The Fan long enough, though, you'll find somewhere to grab a bite and a beer.
— ∮∮∮ —
Update #2 — March 3, 2014; 9:28 AM
The Nickel Bridge is closed due to the inclement weather.
— ∮∮∮ —
Update #1 — March 3, 2014; 9:17 AM
Governor Terry McAuliffe has declared a state of emergency ahead of today's winter storm:
As Virginia prepares for another winter storm today, Governor Terry McAuliffe has declared a state of emergency, an action that authorizes state agencies to be ready to assist local governments in responding to the snow and ice storm that will affect the commonwealth this evening and into tomorrow.
— ∮∮∮ —
Original — March 03, 2014
From the National Weather Service on March 3rd at 6:50 AM:
A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 12:00 AM tonight.
- Hazards: primarily snow and sleet. Areas of blowing snow possible.
- Accumulations: 4 to 8 inches of snow and sleet along with a light ice accumulation.
- Temperatures: starting in the mid 30s early this morning falling to near 20 degrees by afternoon.
- Winds: north increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Wind chills falling into the single digits.
- Timing: this morning through this evening.
- Impacts: rain early this morning will transition to a brief wintry mixture of snow sleet and freezing rain during the morning. Primarily snow and sleet will fall from late morning through the afternoon into the evening hours. The rapid drop in temperatures will result in hazardous travel from icy then snow covered roads.
A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet, and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.
- Chesterfield County, Hanover Country, Henrico County, Petersburg City, and Richmond City Schools are all closed.
- UR, VCU, VSU, VUU are closed
Photo by: amanduhfultz