The snow has fallen, school has cancelled, and now we’re all trapped inside for the foreseeable future. Happy Thursday!
It’s 34 °F outside, and if you’re reading this you’ve survived the first part of The Great Snow of 2014. Congratulations. However there’s more to come…
Throughout the day the sky will continue to spit rain, freezing rain, ice pellets, and other forms of solid or semisolid water. Everything’s coated in a nice layer of ice, which will probably lead to some downed power lines and power outrages.
At some point in the evening things will switch over to snow again. Get excited.
Snow info to know
- Public schools are closed in Chesterfield County, Henrico county, Richmond City, and Hanover County. WRIC has a full list of closings and delays
- VCU, VUU, and UR are all closed.
- 2,268 people in the region are without power–mostly in the southern part of the city. You can see a map of outages here.
- Roads are some combination of wet, snowy, and icy. You can check individual road conditions here. You can also check the traffic situation on Google Maps. (PS. The Nickel Bridge is still closed).
- You can also check the plow-related status of some of the roads in Richmond City here.
- Here are our picks for the best sledding in the city.
- City of Richmond trash pickup will continue as normal!
Also, since I know you’re going to be Instagraming the crap out of the snow today, make sure you tag your photos with #rvanews!
It’s been a big 24 hours for Team USA in the Olympics; they’ve picked up five more medals, including two golds, for a total of 12. That puts Team USA tied for first with Norway! The full list of medals can be found here.
Medal events today include: men’s slopestyle skiing, women’s 10k cross country skiing, women’s 500m short track, women’s 1000m speed skating, men’s 20km (!) individual biathlon, and team relay luge.
Despite unfavorable conditions outside, VCU Ram fans packed the Siegel Center last night creating unfavorable conditions inside for the visiting Colonials of George Washington. Rams win, 92-75.
— ∮∮∮ —
The Spiders also picked up a big win at Duquesne–their second since losing both of their seniors in the same week.
— ∮∮∮ —
The northern part of Virginia has attached GPS doohickeys to their snow plows are offering a real-time feed of their locations. How cool!
— ∮∮∮ —
— ∮∮∮ —
Comcast will buy Time Warner for $45 billion, combining the two largest US cable companies into…the double largest cable company?
Photo by: photofarmer