This is one of those weekends when it’s easier to just list the festivals that are not happening. So here are five of them: The Festival of Your Front and Back Yard, The Running of Some Stray Cats, The 9th Annual Southside Cultural Festival, RVA Streets Are Closed!, and Celebrate Mosquitos.
City Dance Theater, a Richmond company of 9-18 year-olds, performs classical jazz, tap, and modern dance during the Festival of Arts this Thursday. City Dance Theater has performed and competed all over the US, with recent wins at a dance competition in Chicago last month.
- Thursday, August 8th • 8:30 PM
- Dogwood Dell, 6000 S. Boulevard
Music, dance, and art are excellent ways to learn more about a culture, but obviously festivals are meant for the food (sorry, musicians, dancers, and artists). I’m going to bookmark the menu for the Filipino Festival and read it when I feel sad and need a pick-me-up. Adobo, empanadas, banana fritters, and more.
- Friday, August 9th • 5:00 – 10:00 PM and Saturday, August 10th • 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 8200 Woodman Road
- Free to attend
This musical production of “Sophia the First” and “Jake and the Neverland Pirates,” includes special appearances from beloved Disney characters. Everyone learns the true meaning of being a princess or pirate!
- Friday, August 9th • 7:00 — 9:00 PM
- Richmond Coliseum, 601 E. Leigh Street
This annual block party benefits Art 180 and honors the late Jon Zanin, a local artist, musician, and activist. There’s something for everyone, from Bizarre Market vendors, a WRIR stage featuring music from Josh Small, Hot Dolphin, and others, and a Spider-Man moon bounce.
- Saturday, August 10th • 12:00 — 5:00 PM
- 200 N. Shields Ave
Registration to participate in this rowing event is closed, so take part in the easy, free part of watching teams compete in giant canoes decorated as dragons, and row to the beat of a drum. After the races, stay for authentic Chinese entertainment and an 8:00 PM concert featuring the band The Hit List.
- Saturday, August 10th, racing begins at 1:00 PM, events throughout the day
- Rocketts Landing, 5000 Old Osbourne Turnpike
- Free for spectators
Photo by: Listen Missy!