Ask not “What is there to do this weekend?” Instead, ask how you’re going to fit it all in. Also, ask if someone needs a ride. That’s just polite.
For those of you who want to dig a little deeper into the world of family-oriented Things, head over to our new 5 Things for Families. But then head back. I’ll get lonely.
— ∮∮∮ —
1. Attain Unattainable Tickets
Richmond hasn’t rubbed elbows with this many famous people since The Great Spielberg Invasion of ‘11. Tonight—Mary J. Blige. Saturday—The National. Sunday —Passion Pit. Monday—again with the Passion Pit. Gah! It’s so many talented musical acts and so few tickets to go around. Try your luck on Craigslist or StubHub, because these are some not-to-be-missed good times for anyone who has any taste at all.
- See sites for times
- See sites for places
- See sites for ticket prices. Then good luck.
Think the bacon craze has jumped the shark? Tie a napkin around your neck and loosen your belt, because you’re dead wrong, my friend. At this meaty event you’ll find things like bacon ice cream, bacon mac’n’cheese, bacon clothes, bacon vehicles, and alternate sources of bacon-sourced energy. A portion of the proceeds go to benefit enRichmond, so if all goes well and everyone’s fully recovered from their triple bypass surgery, it’ll be an annual thing.
- Sunday, June 9th • 12:00 – 5:00 PM
- 17th Street Farmers Market, 17th and Main Streets
- Bacon-dish bacon-samples cost three bacon dollars
3. Rock of Ages
Only one of my favorite film musicals ever, Rock of Ages is in town on an actual stage (not that I minded you strutting around a soundstage for three hours, Tom Cruise). It’s got everything: Journey, Pat Benatar, Foreigner…like I said, everything. Plus lots of hilarious jokes and a guarantee that your Rdio station will be tuned to 80’s hair rock for at least two weeks.
- Sunday, June 9th • 7:00 PM
- Carpenter Theatre at CenterStage, 600 E. Broad Street
Benefit someone other than yourself, why don’t you, and go twirl the night away at the 11th Annual Moonlight Magic at James River Cellars. You’ll be supporting VCU Massey Cancer Center while you dance and drink and dance some more. Last year, the Moonlight Magic event raised over $60,000. But this year, we’re going to blow that figure out of the water.
- Saturday, June 1st • 12:00 – 8:30 PM
- 11008 Washington Highway in Glen Allen
Horse racing is a beautiful and musclely thing for a lot of people, and soon, you will be no exception. Hightail it over to Colonial Downs this Saturday for their big opening day to recapture the magic of an enormous and powerful beast, ridden by impossibly tiny people. Oh, and you could also take money and turn it into more money, provided you are feeling pretty reckless.
- Saturday, Jun 8th • 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- 10515 Colonial Downs Parkway
- Tickets start at $3
— ∮∮∮ —
- Sheryl Crow, B. B. King, Pat Benatar and more at Innsbrook – see schedule
- Friday Cheers lives on
- A Comedy of Errors at Agecroft
- NT Live: The Audience (starring Helen Mirren) – June 13th & 16th
- Arts and Culture Xpo – June 29th
- David Sedaris tickets now on sale – October 19th
Photo by Anne Aurelia Lewis