Wow, Richmond. There’s so much going on in this town that I didn’t have space for half of the great crowdfunding projects available to us in May.
Your friends and neighbors are working to make our town a better place through their art and service. It’s your time to help them.
I first heard the Grammy-nominated, local musician Anousheh perform at The Cheats Movement’s RVA Hot Sauce and was instantly captivated. I immediate bought all of her stuff on iTunes. She is recording a new album and needs funds for recording and promotion. Listen to a preview of the first single, Hold You, on Anousheh’s website.
- Goal: $13,000
- Campaign Ends: June 1st
- Best Reward: $10 gets you a digital-download of the album, but I’m leaning towards the $100 Swag Bag which gets me the music, a Triple Stamp Press t-shirt and poster, and homemade cookies.
Richmond Young Writers is an organization that “introduces young people to the craft and joy of creative writing through workshops taught by professional writers in the community.” It has a new permanent home, next to Chop Suey in Carytown, and needs the community’s help to fill that home with chairs, tables, supplies, and other basics that any young writer would need. While they have already blown past their initial funding goal of $6,500, you can help them reach their new stretch goal of $11,350 and be a part of helping young writers in our city.
- Goal: $6,500 (stretch goal of $11,350)
- Campaign Ends: May 22nd
- Best Reward: $50 gets you a postcard with original poetry, a BIG SECRET Laser-etched bookmark, and a digital copy of the RYW Field Guide to Friends and Strangers.
Renew Richmond is a non-profit co-directed by Duron Chavis (aka Brother Manifest), whose mission is “to help empower individuals from all walks of life to cultivate healthier lifestyles through the growth and production of food.” With a loan1 of $10,000 Renew Richmond will build a one acre urban farm that features hoop houses, an outdoor farm, and a learning pavilion. They will grow and sell veggies all year, targeting those Richmonders with the least access to affordable, healthy food.
- Goal: $10,000 loan
- Campaign Ends: When funded
- Best Reward: No reward, but Capital One will match each lender’s loan up to $100.
Powhite Park in South Richmond needs a new bridge along the hiking/biking trail there. This Enrichmond-sponsored project will replace the existing bridge with one that is safer and move its location upstream to avoid a flood-prone area.
- Goal: $1,065
- Campaign Ends: When funded
- Best Reward: No rewards. Just knowledge that your donation is helping to make our city a tiny bit better.
Do you like Doctor Who? Do you want an impressively thorough set of 8-bit pixel art chronicling the adventures of the woefully underrated 9th Doctor2 portrayed by Christopher Eccleston? I thought so. Click on over and take in the 8-bit Whovian goodness.
- Goal: $5,200
- Campaign Ends: June 2nd
- Best Reward: For $35, you’ll get the 9th Doctor’s poster. For $45, you’ll get the 10th Doctor’s poster. TIME TO CHOOSE.