Butterflies, strawberries, fireworks, American pride – did I just come up with the best tattoo ever, or a pretty good weekend?
Bring a blanket and enjoy the music as the summer concert series at Pocahontas State Park opens this Thursday with country singer Justin Moore. Upcoming acts include moe., Creedence Clearwater Revisited, O.A.R., and Dark Star Orchestra.
- Pocahontas State Park, 10301 State Park Road (Chesterfield)
- Thursday, May 23rd, gates open at 6:00 PM
- $25 – $45 (children 10 and under free)
Prior to last summer I had not been to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden because I thought it was just a place where you went when you didn’t know what else to do with your mother. My husband and I took our then nineteen-month-old daughter there because of the butterflies, and I was immediately angry with everyone I knew for not telling me that it was the greatest place to take children. Butterflies! A giant tree house! A pond with turtles! Sandbox! Water play area! I couldn’t shut up about it for months after I got a membership. Get ready for me to keep yapping about the gardens again, because the butterflies are back in the Conservatory! And, due to their very short life span, they’re all new!
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Avenue
- Friday, May 24th through Sunday, October 13th, see website for hours
- Included in admission ($11 for adults, $7 for children 3-12, and free for members)
All your friends with preschool-aged kids have been clogging up the Internet with their strawberry picking photos. Do not let them have more fun than you! Go to the Strawberry Fields Festival at Gallmeyer Farms and gather your own strawberries and vegetables, shop local food and craft vendors, listen to live music, and enjoy hay and pony rides.
- Gallmeyer Farms, 3622 Darbytown Court
- Sunday, May 26th, 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Free admission
Who doesn’t love fireworks, other than my dog? While the fireworks display above the James River begins at 9:00 PM, the festivities start hours earlier with music from Mike Banks and Chris Norred followed by Kings of Swing, and food trucks from RVA Street Foodies. Check out the website for other recommended fireworks-watching spots.
- Rocketts Landing, 4708 Old Main Street
- Sunday, May 26th, 5:30 PM (fireworks begin at 9:00 PM)
- Free admission
Take some time to remember why we have a three-day weekend and visit the Virginia War Memorial for two different events honoring the men and women who have served our country. The 10:00 AM service features speaker Governor Bob McDonnell, a memorial wreath laying, and music. Return at 2:00 PM to listen to the Thomas Jefferson High School Corps of Cadets Alumni Band perform.
- Virginia War Memorial, 621 S. Belvidere Street
- Monday, May 27, 10:00 – 11:00 AM and 2:00 – 3:00 PM
photo by Brent Hoard