Get ready for a Victorian Christmas.
Those that are itching to get a taste of Christmas that isn’t an annoying commercial should head over to Maymont and take advantage of the kickoff of their holiday season.
Starting today the Maymont mansion is decked out in Victorian splendor and the next six weeks there are a bevy of events to get you in the mood for the holidays.
- Maymont Mansion Holiday Tours, Tuesdays-Sundays, November 20, 2015-January 3, 2016, 12-5pm, Maymont Mansion
Prepare to be impressed by how the well-to-do used to celebrate with a 12 foot tree and a feast laid out in the dining room. Tours of the upstairs take place on the half hour. $5 suggested donation.
- Wreath Workshops, Tuesday, December 1, 6-9pm, Wednesday, December 2 and Thursday, December 3, 9am-12pm and 6-9pm, Stone Barn
Turn greenery into decorative circles to wow friends and family. $30 per person/$25 members. Register online by November 30; for information, call 804- 358-7166, ext. 310.
- Deck the Halls Workshop, Friday, December 4, 6-8pm, Stone Barn
More plant decoration fun. $45 per person/$37 members. Register online by December 2; for information, call 804-358-7166, ext. 310.
- Old-Fashioned Christmas, Sunday, December 6, 12-5pm, Maymont Mansion and Carriage House Lawn
So much Christmassy stuff that you’ll turn into St. Nick. New in the Victorian village, shoppers will find “street vendors” with fresh holiday greenery and aromatic herbal soaps and candles. Free activities. Guided mansion tours: $5 per person/$4 members and children age 12 and under. Carriage rides: $5 per person/$4 members and children 12 and under.
- Special Monday Opening: Maymont Mansion Holiday Tours, Monday, December 28, 12-5pm, Maymont Mansion
More information is online including a look at events that are already booked, no St. Nick’s Party for you unless you’re already signed up.