The holiday staple brings out over 100,000 people each year.
Broad Street becomes a one-way road for all things Yuletide (and Star Wars) with this weekend’s 31st annual Dominion Christmas Parade.
— ∮∮∮ —
When does the parade happen?
Saturday, December 6th from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Stake out a spot by at least 9:30 AM if you want a good view. You can also watch the parade live on CBS 6 in your pajamas and in your climate-controlled living room. Just sayin’.
Where should I go?
As in years past, the parade departs the Science Museum on W. Broad and heads east to 7th Street (roughly three miles).
Good places to watch the parade are in front of the DMV and near 6th Street.
Who will be in the parade?
Nearly 90 unique pieces, including a vintage WWII vehicle, an Irish dance troupe, Shriners, Rebel Legion of Star Wars, Santa Clause, and way more floats and balloons.
Food and merch vendors will also be around.
Where should I park?
There’s no designated parking, so you’ll need to park on side streets near the parade. You can also park in the Virginia Alcohol and Beverage Control lot next to the Science Museum.
What about street closures?
- Broad Street eastbound will be closed from Strawberry Street to Davis Avenue from 6:00 AM – 2:00 PM on Saturday.
- Broad Street westbound will be closed from 7th Street to Davis Avenue from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM on Saturday.
What’s the weather going to be?
There’s a roughly 40 percent chance of rain during the parade with a temperature near 50 °F.
What can I do afterward?
It’s going to be chilly (and maybe wet) so head to one of these restaurants for a warm lunch:
- Garnett’s • 2001 Park Avenue
- Strawberry Street Cafe • 421 N. Strawberry Hotel
- The Betty on Davis • 805 N. Davis Avenue
- Kuba Kuba • 1601 Park Avenue
- Sidewalk Cafe • 2101 W. Main Street
- Joe’s Inn • 205 N. Shields Avenue
- 3 Monkey’s • 2525 W. Main Street
- Boka Tako Bar • 304 N. Robinson Street
- Starlite • 2600 W. Main Street
- Bellytimber • 1501 W. Main Street
- Balliceaux • 203 N. Lombardy
- Sticky Rice • 2232 W. Main Street
- Metro • 301 N. Robinson Street
- Sugar Shack Donuts • 1001 N. Lombardy Street
Photo courtesy of Dominion Christmas Parade