Things are going to get heated on Friday. No, it’s not a freakish heat wave, but the start of the 2012 CAA Tournament at the Richmond Coliseum. We have all the info you need–from schedules and where to get tickets, to where you can grab a bite to eat while you’re down there.
It might not be March Madness just yet, but it sure is getting close. Teams within the Colonial Athletic Association have fought hard through the regular season, and now it’s time to test their mettle: it’s CAA Tournament time.
Between Friday, March 2nd through Monday, March 5th, the Richmond Coliseum will be the epicenter for CAA basketball. While the game outcomes can’t be predicted, we can predict a fair amount of surprises and suspense that will build momentum into a full-fledged March Madness.
— ∮∮∮ —
FRIDAY, MARCH 2
First round games
- Game 1: #8 James Madison vs. #9 UNCW–Noon
- Game 2: #5 Delaware vs. #12 Towson–2:30 p.m.
- Game 3: #7 Northeastern vs. #10 William & Mary–6:00 p.m.
- Game 4: #6 Georgia State vs. #11 Hofstra–8:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, MARCH 3
- Game 5: #1 Drexel vs. JMU/UNCW–Noon
- Game 6: #4 Old Dominion vs. Delaware/Towson–2:30 p.m.
- Game 7: #2 VCU vs. Northeastern/W&M–6:00 p.m.
- Game 8: #3 George Mason vs. GSU/Hofstra–8:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, MARCH 4
- Game 9: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6–2:00 p.m.
- Game 10: Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8–4:30 p.m.
MONDAY, MARCH 5
- Men’s Championship Game–7:00 p.m.
— ∮∮∮ —
Whether you are looking to go to a single or multiple games, there are actually several really good packages available. From $28 for a single session to an $80 book of tickets that will get you into all six sessions (11 games) of the tournament. There are also discount ticket options that you should be aware of.
You can purchase tickets online, or call TicketMaster at 1.800.745.3000.
If you’re unable to make to the Richmond Coliseum, here’s a handy guide for television, web streaming, and radio so you don’t miss out on any of the action.
— ∮∮∮ —
Parking can nettlesome downtown without a major event taking place, so finding parking during the CAA Tournament will likely complicate things even more. However, there is this handy map and guide to find parking around the Richmond Coliseum for a variety of prices, whether you’re looking for hourly or daily rates.
The Richmond Coliseum is located at 601 E. Leigh Street.
— ∮∮∮ —
If you find yourself with an empty stomach either before or after a game, or just want a place where you can watch games on television with friends, here are a few restaurants near the Richmond Coliseum that you might enjoy:
Places with TVs so you can catch the next game
- Penny Lane Pub, 421 E. Franklin Street
- Lemaire (inside the Jefferson Hotel), 101 W. Franklin Street
- T-Miller’s Sports Bar & Grill, 500 E. Broad Street
- Popkin Tavern, 123 W. Broad Street
- Gibson’s Grill, 700 E. Broad Street
- Tarrants, 1 Broad Street
- Capital Ale House, 623 E. Main Street