This weekend, you’ve got a huge swath of America-related beer events to choose from.
Photo by: zolakoma
Wort share winner
Tomorrow’s the day that Center of the Universe unleashes the brew concocted by John Arthur, winner of the wort share contest. It’s a super neat idea: COTU makes and gives away wort (unfermented, unhopped liquid that’s basically a grain tea), home brewers finish making beer with it, and the best results are made by COTU and released to the public. This year’s winner is a 4.5% Session IPA made with a ton of different hops. I am jealous of you, John Arthur!
Blood sweat beer
Thursday, July 9th at 7:00 PM–which seems like a million years from now–Strangeways will host a viewing of Blood, Sweat, and Beer, a documentary about the craft beer industry. They’ve worked with a bunch of breweries you’ve heard of including some localish East Cost guys. Check out the trailer and feel some emotional-sound-track-inspired feelings–you’ll also want to start planning a trip to The Brew Gentlemen Beer Comapny ASAP.
A firecracker for your mouth
RVANews loves two things (we love many things, but here are two): the 4th of July and cider. Blue Bee Cider hits both of those spots for us with their Firecracker release tomorrow, The Day Itself. It’s a dessert cider, described in the following way:”…a sweet Gold Rush cider is fortified with ginger-infused eau de vie. The eau de vie is a little more floral this time around and the Gold Rush shines through the ginger aroma with pineapple flavor.” OK! Also, I hear King of Pops will make an appearance, soooooo…
IF WE WIN, YOU WIN! says the Kickers. They’re running a really great promotion this weekend for the Women’s World Cup Finals: pending the certain victory over Japan, anyone at one of the four official Kickers viewing parties (Gus’, Baja Bean, F.W. Sullivan’s, or Buffalo Wild Wings Westchester Commons) will get a free ticket to the Craft Beer Fest at City Stadium on August 1st. This is also a soccer game! Free tickets, beer, soccer, fests!
The following paragraph is not about beer
Triple Crossing just announced they’ve added Black Hand Coffee Company Cold Brew to their tap lineup. It joins Ninja Kombucha as a second non-alcoholic (and gluten-free!) option–which I think is amazingly brilliant.
— ∮∮∮ —
Here are some graphs about drinking and then a link to some resources for you if these graphs make you realize that maaaaaybe you’re drinking too much.
The design of old beer cans is so different from what we’ve got today.
Other releases, takeovers, and things
- Today is a ZZQ brisket day at Ardent, FYI.
- Catch tonight’s fireworks (that’s July 3rd) from Legend’s legendary patio. They’ve got all kinds of stuff going on, and you can sample their new West Point Light IPA.
- I feel like I don’t even need to mention it, but of course you can celebrate the 4th of July at Hardywood. They’ve got a billion things happening, plus a great view of the fireworks from the Diamond.
- Speaking of, you can see those very same fireworks from the other side of the Diamond over at Isley’s 2nd Annual Red, White, and Brew Block Party.
- The Answer celebrates America with their new Bay Day Hoppy Blonde Ale, a 4.8% blonde ale that’s dry hopped with an “ENORMOUS” amount of Galaxy hops. They’ll also have a new special menu to pair with the new beer. Also, if you’re looking for a place to watch the Women’s World Cup, they’ll be offering specials to anyone wearing a jersey or red, white, and blue.
- Our wonderful food writer Stephanie Ganz alerted me to this Jay Frank pop up at The Cask this coming Thursday. The idea of having a prix-fixe-optional pop-up is a wonderful one indeed. Wait! She also speaks of a pig roast at Lickinghole on America Day! A PIG ROAST!
- Get happy hour prices on all beers during the Women’s World Cup at Triple Crossing this Sunday, y’all.