We’ve got winners aplenty, a discussion on the high cost of good things, important news for smokers, and things to do with your weekend.
Image: Final Gravity
We have a winner
In fact we have several winners. Richmond once again kicked some serious butt at the Virginia Craft Brewers Cup this past weekend. Richmond breweries came home with 20 of a possible 72 awards including The Answer’s Larceny taking Best in Show. You can check out the full list of medal winners here.
The smoke clears
More and more bars are accepting the fact that the majority of their patrons don’t appreciate smelling like an ashtray at the end of the night. For smokers, bars that allow smoking inside are rare, and that list became a bit smaller this week. Penny Lane announced that they’ve “transitioned to a non-smoking environment.” The vast majority of comments to this announcement have been positive. Smoking holdouts that I can think of include: Patrick Henry Pub, Bandito’s, the Forest, and the Locker Room. If I’ve missed something, feel free to add your smoke-filled pub in the comments.
Drink for a cause
Garden Grove Brewing Company has brewed Lemon Grove Belgian Blonde—a special brew to benefit Children’s Hospital Foundation. Between August 28th and August 30th, $1 of every glass sold will benefit the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU. The release is set for this Friday at noon and the beer should be available all weekend. In addition, you can donate a few extra bucks and they’ll be sent the hospital’s way. Think of the children, and have a beer or two.
That’s gonna cost ya
Occasionally when browsing the beer aisle, one experiences sticker shock. For most beer lovers, this shock is overridden by a bit of convoluted logic and desire to have the new shiny. If your significant other is not an ale connoisseur, you might have to get creative. Just slide the expensive elixir into the stack and surround it with reasonably priced beverages, and hope it’s not noticed that you’re about to buy a $40 4-pack of beer. On the off chance that you’re caught, you can come clean and turn to this article by Annie Tobey of the RTD. It explains the how and why of expensive craft beers.
Charlottesville’s attempt to woo Deschutes Brewery hit a snag
The Charlottesville area is not lacking for local beer options, but an attempt to impress Dechutes Brewery out of Bend Oregon fell on deaf ears. The Albemarle Planning Commission gave a resounding no to attempts to expand the growth area along I-64. The Board of Supervisors will get another crack at it in September, and even if it gets past that, there is a re-zoning maze to navigate. So don’t hold your breath, Oregon beer lovers.
— ∮∮∮ —
Ultimate beer taste test: Ranking America’s best-selling beers. Proving once and for all that just because something or someone is popular doesn’t mean they’re good. Unless we redefine “good!”
Papal Pleasure…it’s a beer.
If you’re ever forced to go to IKEA: first off, condolences. Secondly, know that there are now two breweries in Woodbridge. Just opened Growling Bear Brewing Company and been-open-a-little-longer Ornery Beer Company.
Speaking of shopping, a Target is being built in Chicago and has applied for a liquor license that would allow alcohol to be served on site. That’s right a bar inside of a Target. This could be the best thing or the worst thing in the world.
Other releases, takeovers, and things
- Final Gravity the brewing arm of brewing supplier Original Gravity held its soft opening on Thursday. An impressive nine drafts were being served, but it’s such a small brewery that we could see that change any moment. Expect good things at this spot.
- Ardent is hosting its final brunch of the summer so head over, or you’ll miss tasty ice cream sandwiches made by Greenleaf’s Pool Room. 12:00 – 3:00 PM.
- Attention Dr. Who fans, Triple Crossing is dropping Bad Wolf on Saturday. Bad Wolf is a Belgian Pale Ale brewed with 100% Galaxy hops and fermented with Trappist Ale Yeast.
- Bark & Brew Fest is Saturday at the Richmond Kickers vs. Charleston game. Drink from a selection of a dozen beers with your dog buddy and watch men chase a ball for a change.
- My Noodle and Bar is stepping up their beer game and now offering buckets of craft and imported beers at Happy Hour to go along with their new outdoor seating.
- Good news for whale hunters. Bourbon Barrel Tripel returns to Lickinghole Creek on Saturday. If you wake up late, drive like crazy (but not illegally) because there are only 1,000 bottles available.
- Midnight Brewing is releasing Watermelon Lime Kolsch into the wild today (Friday) with music and food truck at the brewery.
- A-Bomb Apple Sour is being dropped on your tastebuds on Saturday by Strangeways, but you probably knew the brewery the minute you read the name.