It’s Folk Festival weekend! Have a blast, dance a ton, but don’t forget: you still need to eat.
We know you’re planning on hitting up this weekend’s Richmond Folk Festival. We also know that you’re going to be having so much fun that you’ll forget to eat and then you’ll get hungry/angry (hangry) and probably make some bad life choices. So let us answer your questions ahead of time: where to eat in and around the Folk Festival for lunch, dinner, and, of course, the after party.
We don’t want you to miss a single minute of the incredible music that the Folk Festival brings to Richmond, so you should definitely eat at one of the many (local) food vendors that’ll be down there. Three of our favorites:
- Goatocado — We just recommended these guys last week! If you want something delicious, fresh, and healthy look for the adorable avocado-headed goat logo! We recommend the Mountain Tropp.
- La Milpa — Normally, you have to dive all the way to the deep Southside to experience La Milpa’s tacos (some of the best in the area). Well, this weekend you can just trot down to the Folk Festival and there they’ll be. No excuses!
- Croaker’s Spot — Grab one of their famous fish boats and float off into a fried, beige food coma.
OK, after you’ve had your share of music1 and are ready to hit up dinner, you’ve got a bunch of nearby options. Here are two walkable(ish) options that we love:
- Lemaire — Don’t sleep on Lemaire! They have a wonderful happy hour 4:00 – 7:00 PM daily that includes three appetizers from the bar menu for just $20! If you stick around for dinner, they’ve got a three-course $30 seasonal menu, which runs from 5:00 – 6:00 PM daily.
- Mamma Zu — It’s an Oregon Hill classic! Come for the pasta, stay for the fish, stay some more for the really excellent coffee.
Whenever you finish up dinner (or finish polishing off the last couple of Folktoberfests), you’ll probably want to go out.2 Keep things on the banks of the James and head down to one of these places, just a short walk from Brown’s Island:
- Casa del Barco is hosting a Folk Fest After party with live music by White Laces and a tap takeover featuring Legend and Center of the Universe. Things kick off at 9:30 PM on Friday and Saturday.
- But maybe you’re just looking to dance? I feel you, man. I feel you. If that’s your scene check out the newly-opened F.W. Sullivan’s Canal Bar & Grille.
— ∮∮∮ —