Just because November has begun doesn’t mean that food festivals have relented, as three (!!) take place this weekend. We also get a look at what Fat Dragon’s menu will offer, and BlowToad decides to deliver the goods.
Fat Dragon Chinese Kitchen will be opening very soon in the old Stronghill Dining Company location on Boulevard, and we have a sneak peek at the entree menu. This is not the full or finalized menu, but will give you a sampling of what the restaurant will offer. Most items will be locally sourced with no added chemicals or MSG:
- Chef Zhao’s Chicken — Lightly battered chicken wok fried with a sweet and tangy sesame sauce
- Fat Dragon Garlic Chicken — With broccoli rabe and house made garlic sauce
- Black Bean Chicken — With red and green bell peppers, mushrooms and onions in rich fragrant sauce
- Tangerine Beef — Thinly sliced beef tenderloin wok fried crispy then tossed in a tangerine reduction.
- Basil Beef — Sliced strip steak marinated in, garlic, olive oil, and basil then stir-fried with local veggies
- Spicy Tenderloin Hot Pot — Sliced and sautéed with asparagus, basil shiitake mushrooms on a bed of bean sprouts
- Dragon Beef — Wok seared chunks of tenderloin with mushrooms served over sautéed spinach.
- Grand Marnier Shrimp — Lightly battered jumbo prawn with a creamy Grand Marnier sauce
- Serpent Shrimp — Stir fried with local seasonal vegetables rice wine sauce
- Crispy Fish — Flounder fillet with onion, red pepper, spring onion and dried red chilies
- Tea Smoked Duck — Thinly sliced, and served with cucumber, spring onion, essence of plumb sauce and freshly steamed buns
- Five Spice Crispy Ribs — Eight pieces of tender pork ribs marinated in the Chef’s special canton style sauce
- Enter the Dragon — Chef Zhao’s delectable combination of Scallops, shrimp and calamari
- Fat Dragon Tofu — Lightly fried soft tofu stir-fried with broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers in oyster sauce
- Broccoli rabe and kale — Straight from the farm stir-fried in garlic sauce
— ∮∮∮ —
Today marks the first day of November, but food festivals aren’t slowing down! This Saturday, head down to the 17th Street Farmers Market for the 13th Annual Brunswick Stew Festival. Tastings go from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM with pints and quarts available for purchase after 1:00 PM. Once they’re out, they are out, so don’t be fashionably late. Music will be performed by Road Kill Roy and Proverbial.
— ∮∮∮ —
If you’re having so much fun at the Brunswick Stew Festival you can come right back to the 17th Street Farmers Market on Sunday for the Autumn Bottom and Brews Festival. From 12:00 – 5:00 PM there will be 25 types of beer flowing from 16 craft breweries. Food pairings will be available as well.
— ∮∮∮ —
Also happening on Sunday is the Carytown Food and Wine Festival. Originally scheduled for October, the event was moved to this Sunday, November 4th due to bad weather. Nine wineries will set up shop in the Cary Court parking lot along with six Carytown food vendors. Eat, drink, and be merry! Tickets $15 in advance and $20 at the door, which includes a souvenir wine glass and unlimited tastings. Tickets can be purchased here.
— ∮∮∮ —
If you live within a two mile radius of BlowToad in Carytown, boy are you are in luck. The restaurant will now offer free pizza and beer delivery within a two mile radius of their location at 2907 W. Cary Street (across from the Byrd). Keep in mind: all orders including beer must be delivered before midnight.