Only two-fifths of this week’s line-up involve the holidays. See how much I love you?
Photo by: A. Strakey
Every kid I know who’s seen this puppet-filled production1 has declared it “so awesome.” Every parent I know who’s seen it claims to have cried pretty much through the whole thing. Do with that information what you will–and bring tissues if you decide to go, I guess? Recommended for ages 3 and up.
- Runs through Sunday, January 3rd • see website for show dates and times
- Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
Just a little over a week until the The Force Awakens comes out. Celebrate with Star Wars-themed origami, you must. Padawans ages 6 and up only, please.
- Thursday, December 10th • 4:00 PM
- Main Library, 101 E. Franklin Street.
3. Autism 101
According to Autism Speaks, autism affects 1 in 68 children (and 1 in 42 boys). This workshop will answer basic questions about autism spectrum disorders (ASD)–what they are, what they aren’t, and how parents and caregivers can respond to the challenges these disorders often bring. You’ll also explore strategies to help ASD children and their families succeed and thrive in home and community settings.
- Thursday, December 10th • 6:30 — 8:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond — Short Pump, 11800 W. Broad Street
- $30 (discounts and scholarships are available; contact Liz Pearce at email@example.com for details)
This event basically turns the Northside into Stars Hollow for a day. The only thing we really need is a Kirk2. Make your nominations in the comments, and I’ll notify the Bellevue Civic Association once we’ve made our decision.
- Saturday, December 12th • 11:00 AM — 4:00 PM
- 4000 block of MacArthur Avenue
- Free (but please bring a donation for Toys for Tots!)
As the tagline says: “Eleven instruments. Three voices. One joy.” And if I may, I’ll add “A big ol’ heaping helping of hometown pride.” Join some of Richmond’s absolute best jazz musicians for an evening and/or afternoon of new arrangements of all those Christmas classics you love.
- Saturday, December 12th • 4:00 PM and 7:30 PM and Sunday, December 13th • 4:00 PM
- Singleton Center for the Performing Arts, 922 Park Avenue
- $15 (proceeds benefit CHAT)