5 Things for Families: Harps, stories, angel wings, basketball, lanterns
Winter break starts on Friday afternoon for most Richmond-area kids. But don’t panic, parents. We’ve got plenty to keep them busy.
Photo by: arturry
1. American Youth Harp Ensemble
Christmas carols played on harps. By children. I’m already kind of crying thinking about this one.
- Thursday, December 17th • 2:00 PM
- Twin Hickory Library, 5001 Twin Hickory Road
2. CMoR Short Pump Special Story Time: The Polar Express
Enjoy a sensory reading of Chris Van Allsburg’s The Polar Express, AKA The Most Beautifully Illustrated Book Of All Time. I’ve never experienced a sensory reading of anything, but The Polar Express lends itself well to the concept: the train, the snow, the hot chocolate, the sleigh bell…can I heartily recommend something I haven’t been to? Oh well, I’m gonna. Go to this; I am confident it will be great.
- Friday, December 18th • 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond — Short Pump, 11800 W. Broad Street
- Free with museum admission ($9; free for members or kids under age 1)
3, It’s a Wonderful Life
Yes, I know another very important movie comes out this weekend, but if you’re one of those sad sacks who doesn’t have tickets yet1, consider taking your kids to this instead. Lionel Barrymore’s Mr. Potter is way scarier than any villain J.J. Abrams could ever conjure up anyway. Old, rich, white dudes, AMIRITE?
- Saturday, December 19th and Sunday, December 20th • 11:00 AM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
4. VCU vs. Cincinnati
Got kids with lots of pre-Christmas energy to burn? Let ’em shout their brains out as the Rams take on the nationally ranked Bearcatsi. Or do a couple laps around the concourse, whatever.
- Saturday, December 19th • 4:00 PM
- Siegel Center, 1200 W. Broad Street
- Tickets start at $362
5. Holiday Lantern Tour
The house at Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park is decked out for the holidays, and you and yours are invited to come check it out. Costumed living historians will take you on a candle-lit (well, lantern-lit) tour of the home while also offering a history of classic Christmas carols. This is so old-timey and wholesome, I can’t take it! In a good way though!
- Saturday, December 19th • 5:30 – 8:00 PM (tours leave every 15 minutes)
- Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park, 3400 Mountain Road
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There are no reader comments. Add yours.