Oh there you are, winter! We’re pleased to announce that all of this week’s events take place indoors…because it’s flippin’ cold.
Watch as the Latin Ballet of Richmond uses dance, music, and amazing costumes to tell the story of Maria, a young girl who had nothing but a handful of weeds to give to the Baby Jesus. But because her gift comes from the heart, those weeds magically transform into something beautiful/toxic to cats and dogs! (I don’t think that second part factors into the story though.)
Not sure your kids will be into watching a ballet? Here’s a little preview that might change your mind:
- Thursday, January 7th through Sunday, January 10th • morning, afternoon, and evening show times available
- The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road
- $20 for adults; $15 for children, students, seniors, and military
Kiss off, unseasonably warm weather! Come celebrate the only good thing about winter (now that Christmas is over) with a visit from Anna and Elsa; face-painting; snow cones; and a special story time with the 2015 Snow Queen.
- Saturday, January 9th • 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Children’s Museum of Richmond Central, 2626 W. Broad Street
- Free with admission ($9; free for members and kids under 1)
Girls ages 5 to 9 are invited to drop by and spend time together engineering GoldieBlox projects together. Lots of GoldieBlox kits will be available, and there will be plenty of time for unstructured, imaginative play, too. I…want to go to this? I mean, I could probably pass for an elementary schooler. Surely at least some of them have laugh lines, right?
- Saturday, January 9th • 10:00 – 11:00 AM
- LaPrade Library, 9000 Hull Street Road
4. Little Women
Since you have to introduce your kids to Katharine Hepburn’s genius ways at some point, you might as well start with one of her personal favorites. In fact, of her performance in this 1933 hit Hepburn is quoted as saying, “I defy anyone to be as good [as Jo] as I was.” Take that, Winona!
- Saturday, January 9th and Sunday, January 10th • 11:00 AM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
I know in my brain that this is incorrect, but I can’t help but think that anyone from Rhode Island is tiny. So, following that logic, the Richmond Spiders (the lady ones) should have no problem crushing the RI Rams, right? Regardless, watching basketball is never an un-fun way to spend an afternoon.
- Saturday, January 9th • 2:00 PM
- Robins Center, University of Richmond