Richmond is ready for you and your positively delightful weather, Upcoming Weekend!
Photo by: tuaulamac
Kids ages 3 to 11 are invited to explore the fun-but-sometimes-intimidating worlds of math and engineering with the help of fun-and-seriously-always-fun dominoes! Also: I really hope they teach them how to play Chicken foot because it is The Most Fun.
- Friday, February 19th • 3:30 – 4:30 PM
- Twin Hickory Library, 5001 Twin Hickory Road
- Free! (Please note: kids ages 3 to 5 will need an adult helper with them in the class)
2. VCU vs. UR
VCU bested Richmond last month (94-89) in overtime at UR. What are the Rams going to do with the Spiders on their home turf??? Tickets are off-the-charts expensive, but this hometown rivalry makes for can’t-miss match-ups. So plant yourselves in front of a TV for some sports-watching togetherness!
- Friday February 19th • 7:00 PM
- Anywhere that has ESPN2
- The cost of cable? The costs of some snacks and/or drinks at a place that has cable? Look, I can’t figure out everything for you.
3. Monster Jam
Do the names Northern Nightmare, Zombie, Monster Mutt, NEA, Bounty Hunter, Iron Outlaw, Fullboar and Walking Tall mean anything to you? Me neither, but I’m told they are 12-feet-tall, 10,000-pound Monster Jam trucks that will be in Richmond this weekend. To do a show, I mean, not to, like, take a drive around town. But you can imagine the sight of our city’s children losing their damn minds if they saw one of those mammoths rolling down Broad Street? Oh well, they’ll just have to lose their damn minds in the Coliseum instead.
- Friday, February 19th through Sunday, February 21st • 7:30 PM
- Richmond Coliseum, 601 E. Leigh Street
If MTV ever did “Cribs: Victorian Homes Edition,” Major and Mrs. Dooley’s Maymont estate would totally make the cut1. Check out all “the bells, whistles, hidden panels, knobs, tubes and other technological wonders that made Major and Mrs. Dooley’s home one of the most modern in Gilded Age Richmond.” You’ll also find out if you and your kid can manage to not giggle every time someone refers to a dumbwaiter.
- Saturday, February 20th • 2:00 PM (Their 12:30 tour has sold out, so they’ve added another time!)
- Maymont Mansion, 1700 Hampton Street
- $7 ($4 for members)
(Original performance was rescheduled because of last month’s snowtastrophe). Sit back and get stoked as the Richmond Symphony tackles music from the most popular video games of all time. The performance will also feature “completely synchronized cutting-edge video screen visuals” and special on-stage segments. Pre- and post-show activities include costume contests, a Guitar Hero competition, and meet-and-greets with top game composers and designers.
- Saturday, February 20th • 8:00 PM
- Altria Theater, 6 N. Laurel Street
- $20 – $70 (discounts for kids ages 3 to 17)
- I can’t stop laughing. ↩