I’m going to operate under the assumption that stuff will actually happen this week. Keeping it posi, my people.
Photo by: Ozzy Delaney
1. Richmond Public Schools Citywide Spelling Bee — POSTPONED
With all the extra time these kids have had to study I expect this to be a legit T-H-R-O-W-D-O-W-N. Bee there or bee square.
- RESCHEDULED to Wednesday, February 3rd • 7:00 PM
- Huguenot High School, 7945 Forest Hill Avenue
2. Fit Tots
Finally! Physical activity that doesn’t require you to duct tape plastic bags to your children’s feet!1 Expect lots of wiggling, jumping, and giggles.
- Thursday, January 28th (occurs weekly) • 10:00 AM
- Cartwheels & Coffee, 2820 W. Cary Street
- Free with admission ($5; children under 1 are free)
Slap those Elsa/Anna/Olaf costumes on and head over to the library for a singing-welcome viewing of Frozen. So basically what you’ve been doing all week, but in a place that isn’t your house. Take what you can get, parents.
- Thursday, January 28th • 4:00-5:30 PM
- Glen Allen Library, 10501 Staples Mill Road
Part of the 2016 Acts of Faith Festival, this Virginia Repertory Theatre production chronicles the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his role as the dominant force in the American Civil Rights Movement.
- Friday, January 29th through Sunday, February 14th • shows on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays; see website for show times
- Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
Michael Boudewyns (as Sam-I-Am) and Kimberly Schroder (as Theodora Gieselevska) team up–backed by the Richmond Symphony–to bring Dr. Suess’s Green Eggs and Ham to life. Be sure to stop by the free pre-concert festival and check out the instrument petting zoo before heading into the show!
- Saturday, January 30th • 11:00 AM (pre-concert festival at 10:00 AM)
- Richmond CenterStage’s Carpenter Theatre, 600 E. Grace Street
- Some of us were less prepared for the snow than others, ok? ↩