5 Things for Families
I love Richmond in the springtime…
1. Earth Day E-cycling
Spring cleaning time! To celebrate Earth Day, the Science Museum of Virginia will accept old electronics that they will then properly recycle. So clean all those old cell phones out of your junk drawer (and your kid’s toy box) and bring them on over!
- Wednesday, April 22nd • 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
2. Leading Women of Richmond Walking Tour
This looks like a fantastic option for the home-schoolers out there: as part of Virginia’s Historic Garden Week, the Valentine Richmond History Center will lead these morning tours exploring “the unique history of the women of Richmond from the perspective of the Monroe Ward neighborhood.”
- Wednesday, April 22nd; Thursday, April 23rd; and Friday, April 24th • 9:00 — 10:30 AM
- Kent-Valentine House, 12 E. Franklin Street
3. Flying Squirrels vs. New Britain Rock Cats (and Fireworks!)
What the heck is a rock cat? Minor League Baseball, I tell ya. Anyway, the weather’s looking great (mid-60s and sunny), and fireworks are on the schedule–can’t beat that with a stick.
- Thursday, April 23rd • gates open at 5:30 PM and game starts at 6:35 PM
- The Diamond, 3001 N. Boulevard
4. The Troubadors: West Side Story
Fun fact: this song runs through my head during about 60 percent of my lifetime.
And you know what? I don’t hate it. You and your kids won’t either. This production is put on by The Troubadors, a local theater company dedicated to providing access to quality family-friendly performances at an affordable cost.
- Friday, April 24th and Saturday, April 25th • 7:30 PM (with a 2:00 PM matinee on Saturday)
- Henrico Theatre, 305 E. Nine Mile Road (in Highland Springs)
5. The Enchanted Toy Shop Family Matinee
In honor of the 40th anniversary of the The School of Richmond Ballet, students will perform The Enchanted Toy Shop, “the story of a whimsical, old-fashioned toy shop which comes to life with the help of a group of magical, dancing fairies.” It’s not often that you can see anything related to Richmond Ballet for just $10, so get in on this, parents!
- Sunday, April 26th • 2:00 PM
- Richmond CenterStage, 600 E. Grace Street
Photo by: CannedTuna
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There are no reader comments. Add yours.