The countdown to school has begun, so best cram in some family fun before things really get busy.
Apparently this has been happening weekly all summer, and so I’m kicking myself for just now getting the scoop. Bring the wee ones (or kids of any age) to get their hands dirty in the Children’s Garden, take part in storytime, and enjoy a little walkabout.
- Fridays and Saturdays through August • 11:00 AM — 12:00 PM
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Avenue
- Free with admission ($8 for kids; $11 for seniors; $12 for adults; members and kids under 3 are free)
August 9th is National Bowling Day (because sure), and the folks at Uptown Alley want you to get in on the fun SO MUCH they’re offering one free game for each shoe rental. Looks like your Friday night plans just got made.
- Friday, August 9th • open 11:00 AM — 2:00 AM
- Uptown Alley, 6101 Brad McNeer Parkway
- Shoes are $3.50 per pair
No doubt your family’s been logging some serious pages in your efforts to dominate the Richmond Public Library’s summer reading program. Celebrate your collective success with music, crafts, refreshments, and a visit from Jesse the Juggler.
- Saturday, August 9th • 10:00 AM — 1:00 PM
- Main Library, 101 E. Franklin Street
BREAKING NEWS: For the first time in the history of forever, it will not–I repeat WILL NOT–be one million degrees on the day of the Carytown Watermelon Festival. At press time, the forecast is calling for temperatures in the low 80s with a 30 percent chance of precipitation. Such a break in tradition makes one wonder: will this be the first time in the history of forever that there will not be approximately one million people at the Carytown Watermelon Festival. Only one way to find out…
- Sunday, August 10th • 10:00 AM — 6:00 PM
- Free admission (funds will be required to partake in watermelon and other snack-treats)
Nutzy can do a lot, but he can’t fill a school bus with supplies for William Byrd Community House on his own. Come on down the the Diamond and help Richmond’s favorite flying squirrel make it happen for this wonderful organization. Requested items include: backpacks; no. 2 pencils; glue sticks; crayons; rulers; and liquid hand soap.
- Sunday, August 10th • 12:30 — 1:30 PM
- The Diamond, 3001 N. Boulevard
- Depends on your budget, Money Bags
Photo by: Meis Beeder