Soccer! Science! State park campouts! And other stuff that may or may not start with S!
USA takes on Germany tomorrow right at lunchtime, leaving many American parents wondering, “Which local bar is the least inappropriate place for me to take my kids to watch?” Fear not, soccer-loving moms and dads! Sports Center of Richmond will host a viewing party, and the Buffalo Wild Wings Food Truck will be on hand to serve up some snackies.
- Thursday, June 26th • 12:00 PM
- Sports Center of Richmond (SCOR), 1385 Overbrook Road
- Free admission
Got a 12-to-18-year-old with a love of history and a penchant for digging in the dirt? This hands-on workshop will let your tween/teen examine clues left behind by ancient civilizations and explore a career in archaeology.
- Thursday, June 26th • 3:00 PM
- Main Library, 101 E. Franklin Street
Folks at Powhatan State Park will join thousands of families across the nation as they gathering in their backyards, neighborhoods, communities, and parks this Saturday, to enjoy a night of camping for the 10th Annual Great American Backyard Campout. Of course, you could always host your own campout in your backyard, but if you’re looking for some company, Powhatan State Park is offering guided hikes, games, geocaching and orienteering, campfire cooking demonstrations, and much more! Call the park office to register at 804.598.7148 or email email@example.com.
- Saturday, June 28th • all day (kicks off Saturday at 10:00 AM and finishes up at 11:00 AM the next morning)
- Powhatan State Park, 4616 Powhatan State Park Road
- $20 per family (events and activities included)
Each Saturday this summer Full Circle Theatre Project and Stage B Theatre Company will present stage adaptations of popular/beloved children’s books, like Ferdinand the Bull, Little Red Riding Hood, Horton Hears a Who, just to name a few. And make sure to have your little one bring his favorite book, too–it just might get chosen for an impromptu reading by one of the performers.
- Every Saturday (through August 2nd) • 11:00 AM
- Ha’Penny Stage at Dogwood Dell, Byrd Park
On select Mondays the Buz & Ned’s Boulevard location donates 10 percent of profits to local non-profits. This Monday’s recipient is Richmond Animal League. Think about it! Noshing on some of the city’s best barbecue, all to help the puppers and kittehs? That’s a win-win, folks.
- Monday, June 30th • 6:00 PM — 10:00 PM
- Buz & Ned’s, 1119 N. Boulevard
- Check out menu and prices here
Photo by: Joe Shlabotnik