Laugh at an improv show this weekend, laugh at a yoga class this weekend, or laugh at a tiny waterskiing squirrel this weekend.
This time of year, I’m always complaining that there’s nothing good out in movie theaters. Well, if you’re one of those people too, this is a be-careful-what-you-wish-for kind of event, because for one weekend Richmond is bursting with great films. Don’t miss it, because those summer flicks are a long ways away. Oh, and it’s all put together by Heather Waters, who was one of our 2016 Fascinating People.
- Thursday, March 3rd – Sunday, March 6th • see site for schedule
- The Byrd Theater, 2908 W. Cary Street and Movieland, 1320 N. Boulevard
- $10 for general admission, per film
All those spaces on Broad Street that look empty and confusing and deserted come alive every month during the First Friday Art Walk. See some open galleries, buy some art, and maybe catch a couple of shows while you’re at it. One time I even got a free ice cream sandwich. Guys, anything is possible.
- Friday, March 4th • 5:00 – 9:00 PM
- A chunk of downtown Broad Street
The Richmond Comedy Coalition does some pretty amazing and out-of-the-box things, a marijuana-themed sitcom being one of them. This weekend is the season finale of “High There!,” so don’t miss the show’s wrap-up. It’s also completely improvised, so even the performers don’t know what they’re going to say! Oh the suspense!
- Friday, March 4th • 8:00 PM
- Richmond Comedy Coalition, 8 W. Broad Street
Man, these squirrels in my backyard are so boring! All they do is run up and down trees and eat bird seed and chase each other. Do something spontaneous, squirrels! Don’t any of you have a bucket list? Don’t you want to try snorkeling or scuba diving or snowboarding? Can’t you be more like Twiggy, who hopped on a pair of waterskis in 1979 and has been entertaining America in her tiny life jacket ever since?
- Friday, March 4th – Sunday, March 6th • various times throughout the weekend
- Richmond Raceway Complex, 600 E. Laburnum Avenue
- $8 for adults, free for kids 16 and under
For the third year running, the Atlantic 10 women’s teams come the Coliseum to face off. These teams (there are 14, it’s confusing, don’t think about it) include the Rams and Spiders! It started yesterday and goes through Sunday, and with any luck VCU and/or University of Richmond will do well! Richmond won yesterday, and they play VCU today at 2:00 PM! Augh!
- Through Sunday, March 6th • see Atlantic 10 site for scheduling details
- Richmond Coliseum, 601 E. Leigh Street
BONUS THING: Laughter Yoga
Flexibility, strength, meditation, relaxation, inner peace, and…belly laughs. There’s no comedy, or really anything funny at all here, but they will definitely have you giggling. I don’t know how either! The mysteries of yoga, you know!?
- Monday, March 7th • 6:00 PM
- Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 8 N. Laurel Street