This weekend we bid adieu to dumb ol’ Janaury and welcome February with open-yet-shivering arms. Check out five activities to keep you and the fam happy/distracted this weekend as we tick another month off of our countdown to spring.
Life as a mother can be hard. Life as a new mother can be terrifying. The folks at Natural Barre, Women’s Health Physical Therapy, and Milby’s Just Kids have put together an evening that will provide new and expectant moms with education and resources that will hopefully ease those “OMG WHAT DID I DOOOOO?” feelings. Take part in free barre demonstrations; get some advice on finding relief for physical “situations” that often occur during and after pregnancy; and make use of the 20 percent discount Milby’s Just Kids will offer at the event.
- Wednesday, January 29th • 6:00 — 7:30 PM
- Natural Barre, 3020 Stony Point Road
- Free (but call 804-379-3002 to reserve a spot)
As of press time, the forecast is putting the high for Thursday at a balmy 38 degrees. Sure, it’s cold, but it’s bearable–and I think that come the end of this week, we’re all going to do what we can to ease that cabin fever. Do dinner around the outdoor heaters over at Hardywood with food from Cielito Lindo, The Dog Wagon, and Super Fresh Carts. And beers. You will probably want some beers.
- Thursday, January 30th • 4:00 — 9:00 PM
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, 2408 Ownby Lane
- Cost depends on your consumption
Tickets for Virginia Repertory Theatre’s limited run of this production honoring the life and work of Harriet Tubman are going fast, so don’t dilly-dally! The show clocks in at about an hour and is recommended for ages 7 and up.
- Friday, January 31st through Friday, February 7th (student matinees through the 21st) • see website for show times
- The Children’s Theatre at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
Get a babysitter! Or be irresponsible and bring your kid to a late-night movie! Do whatever it takes because Bill Murray is the best! Also this:
- Friday, January 31st and Saturday, February 1st • 11:00 PM
- Movieland, 1301 N. Boulevard
Exposing your child to history through picture books? A make-it-and-take-it craft? Something to do outside of your house during that sometime hellish hour before lunch and nap time? Yes, please, and thank you, Virginia Historical Society!
- Saturday, February 1st • 11:00 AM
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 N. Boulevard
Photo by: makelessnoise