Although we’ve come to the end of the road, still we can’t let this summer go. It’s unnatural, we belong to it, and it belongs to us.
1. Boyz II Men
Back in school, these guys used to dream about this every day: would it really happen? Or would their dream of paying Innsbrook After Hours just fade away? Then they started singing and they said “That’s kinda smooth,” So they started a group and came to town, kickin’ it just for you!
- Thursday, August 27th • Gates at 5:00 PM and show at 6:00 PM
- Innsbrook, 4901 Lakebrook Drive
I mean, it’ll probably be back next year, but who can think that far ahead? For now, Lewis Ginter’s popular Thursday night series concludes for the summer with Yo Mama’s Brass Band, which does some second-line stylings–my favorite kind of stylings! As always fresh, seasonal food will be available for purchase (PDF), and this is one of the times where your dog is allowed!. Check out the more detailed schedule so you can be sure not to miss Water Play and family stuff, if that’s your jam.
- Thursday, August 27th • 5:00 – 9:00 PM
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Avenue
- Regular park admission ($12 for adults, $8 for children 3 – 12, and $0 for kids under 3) + $2 suggested donation for SPCA if you’re bringing your dog
3. Stephen Szucs, Relay Foods, and you
Whoa, whoa, whoa, did you know about Sustainable Joes? What a neat idea, and even NEATER is the fact that Stephen Szucs will be here THIS VERY NIGHT to talk to us about being sustainable in our very own, specific town, thanks to Relay Foods. Come to Ardent to drink some beer, chat with Stephen, and talk about how some Scott’s Addition businesses are handling ecological issues. I am a tiny bit starstruck over here.
- Thursday, August 27th • 6:30 – 8:30 PM
- Ardent Craft Ales, 3200 W. Leigh Street
- Free to attend!
This one requires a little bit of a jaunt, but it’s time to wrangle what we can out of summer, and that means weekend trips. Massanutten (I am so pleased with myself for spelling that right on the first try) Resort will be bustling with kids’ games, hoop stuff provided by our own Dogtown Hoop Mafia, tons of food vendors, a beer garden, CrossKeys wine, and bands like Jackass Flats and the Holy Ghost Tent Revival. Oh, and fireworks. This looks like a whole lot of fun. Good on you, Massinnutteng (dammit!).
- Saturday, August 29th • 5:00 – 10:00 PM
- Massanutten Resort, 4616 Massanutten Drive
- $15 through Friday, August 28th, $20 at the gate (kids 6 and under are free)
Man, is it a good week for your dog or what! First the smell of a bunch of people who might drop food at Lewis Ginter, then the smell of a bunch of people who might drop food at City Stadium! Bring your dog and buy two tickets for $20–it’ll get you two beers (or lemonades). The party begins at 5:30, with live music, food, craft beer and cider, and a pet-centric market and giveaways. At some point there will be a soccer game but does it even matter? Yes, it does! The Kickers are set to destroy the Charleston Battery at 7:00 PM–tune into RVANews tomorrow for our official predictions.
- Saturday, August 29th • 5:30 PM
- City Stadium, 3201 Maplewood Avenue