Wow, what a beautiful week we’ve had in Richmond, huh? While the heat and humidity look to be headed our way again this weekend, don’t let that keep you from heading out and enjoying all the great stuff this town has to offer over the next few days.
Wow, what a beautiful week we’ve had in Richmond, huh? While the heat and humidity look to be headed our way again this weekend, don’t let that keep you from getting out and enjoying all the great stuff this town has to offer over the next few days. Here are 5 things sure to get your mind off the sticky situation…
The Richmond Shakespeare Festival is kicking off their Summer 2010 season with what basically boils down to a cross-dressing romantic comedy (Ross The Publisher’s favorite genre, I’ll have you know). Here’s the dealio:
Shipwrecked, a young woman washes up on an exotic shore. Fearing her twin brother dead, and in desperate need of shelter, Viola masquerades as a boy and takes a position as a page in the service of a lovesick Duke. Sent by her newfound boss to woo his love, Viola succeeds too well; the Countess Olivia falls for the disguised Viola instead of the Duke! When Viola’s twin brother arrives, alive, the mayhem—and the magic — are palpable.
For those of you not familiar with this one, it served as inspiration for the Amanda Bynes hit, She’s the Man (also one of Ross The Publisher’s favorite movies). For those of you who served as my Shakespeare professor during my time at the University of Richmond (namely Dr. Josephine McMurtry), I apologize for that last sentence.
- Preview takes place on Thursday, June 10; the show officially opens on Saturday, June 12 (all performances are at 8pm)
- Agecroft Hall (4305 Sulgrave Road)
- $21 for adults, $12 for kids (purchase online)
Guys, this is such a great way to spend a few hours this weekend. I’d explain it to you, but I’ll just let this video do the talking:
(Video courtesy of Special Olympics Virginia)
If you’re interested in being part of the cheering section for these amazing individuals, stop by volunteer2cheer.com.
- Opening ceremonies will be held on Friday, June 11 (7pm) with events running through Saturday, June 12 (see website for the complete schedule)
- The Robins Center at the University of Richmond will host the opening ceremonies; all events will take place at St. Christopher’s School (711 St. Christopher’s Road)
And now this song is in all of your heads (and you are somewhat skeezed out because, hello, Semi-Creepy Candy Store Man)…
- Saturday, June 12 and Sunday, June 13 (doors open at 10:30am, movie starts at 11am)
- Movieland (1301 N. Boulevard)
- $5.50 ($4.50 with your Criterion Club Card)
It’s here! Come by Brown’s Island this weekend to sample beers from more than 200 domestic and international breweries (check out the complete list here). Profits benefit Fetch-A-Cure, an organization devoted to improving the quality of life for all pets. Awwww.
- Saturday, June 12 (first session from 12pm to 4pm; second session from 6pm to 10pm)
- Brown’s Island (S. 7th Street)
- $40 per session in advance, $50 at the door
Two days of pizza, cannoli, pasta, and more. I…I can’t talk about it, it’s too wonderful.
- Saturday, June 12 and Sunday, June 13 (11am to 8pm)
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (828 Buford Road)
- Free admission
None of these sound good? Check out our Events Calendar for more fun stuff going on around town.
As always, if you know of something that deserves a shout out, please do so in the comments OR submit it to the calendar yourself!