Second annual event challenges first responders’ strength and endurance, demonstrates physical demands of their jobs
The second annual Virginia Firefighter Games & Festival will be burning up the parking lot of Short Pump Town Center tomorrow. The games are a chance for first responders from across the state test their strength and endurance and allow the public to get a glimpse into the physical demands their jobs require.
Some of the games include:
- Hose Carry & Climb: Carry a 42-lbs hose pack to the top of a four-story tower and placing the hose in a box at the top.
- Hose Hoist and Descend: Pull a 42-lbs hose pack up (dead lift) four stories hand-over-hand, placing on the deck at the top and descending four stories of stairs.
- Forcible Entry: Use a Keiser Machine evolution.
- Hose Advance: Zig-zag through a course of fire hydrants, pick up a charged 1 3/4″ hose line, pull it 50′ and discharge at a target.
- Victim Rescue: Drag a 165 lbs. rescue dummy 75 feet to the finish line.
This family-friendly event is free and begins at 9:30 AM in the back lot of Short Pump Town Center, near the Food Court.
Activities for the whole family include a fire truck display area, interactive demonstrations of the Jaws of Life and instructions on to get out of a burning building safely, a children’s game area and live entertainment. Virginia Blood Services will also be on hand hosting a blood drive.
Photo by: Virginia Firefighter Games & Festival