It’s RVA Music Night down at the Cheers!
Photo by: NRK P3
Things kick off at 6:00 PM; tickets are $5, and children under 12 are free. Here’s a quick preview of what to expect this week, and, of course, there’s more info on their Facebook page.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Soulful singer songwriter indie jams. With trumpets.
- Sounds kinda like: Someone whispering beautifully to you over a really great R&B song.
- Sweet jam: “Bird of Prey”
- Listen to the album: Natalie Prass on Apple Music »
Natalie Prass, y’all! Her record comes out of local Spacebomb Records, so you can count on those classic Matthew E. White sounds–things like brass, strings, cool vibes, that kind of stuff. She’s also incredibly funny and rad, which I will prove to you by linking to this great interview with her.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: Fuzzy garage rock
- Sounds kinda like: Drinking too much, falling into the river, but safely making your way back onto dry land.
- Sweet jam: “More Bang for your Buck”
- Listen to the album: Lady God #2 on Bandcamp »
Some music is perfect for hot, hot, hot summer afternoons spent outside. Lady God is exactly that. It’s almost too exactly that, as now I kind of feel like I should be mowing the lawn.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Genre: (Funk + R&B) / 2
- Sounds kinda like: The inner soundtrack of the coolest dude you know.
- Sweet jam: “Come Inside”
- Listen to the album: This is Love on Band Camp »
You may recognize Sam Reed from her work in the Photosynthesizers, which, if you do not, you should totally familiarize yourself with because they’re great. Now, she’s out on her own, singing up a soulful storm, and being great in her own right.