“June is busting out all up in here, up in here.” – Rodgers, Hammerstein, and DMX
New library, you guys! Henrico County relocated its Varina Branch to a new location on New Market Road and, well, it sounds amazing: updated collections; a digital media lab with 3D printers; drive up book return; separate children and teen areas; plenty of group meeting space; and even a demonstration kitchen. Do you think Libbie Mill is getting nervous?1
- Opening celebration Wednesday, June 1st • 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM; open for business Thursday, June 2nd • 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
- Varina Branch Library, 1875 New Market Road
Local fishing experts will be on hand to teach basic catch-and-release fishing techniques. Beginners are welcome, and limited poles and tackle will be available to borrow. So bring some bottled water, a folding chairs, poles if you got ’em, and come on out for what sounds like a seriously adorable event.
- Saturday, June 4th • 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Shields Lake, Byrd Park
I can and will recite every line of this movie whenever I watch it. It is in my blood-my soul. It’s probably safe to assume that the other 30-somethings who will bring their kids to this event can and will do the same. Do with that what you will.
- Saturday, June 4th • 10:00 AM
- Byrde Theatre, 2908 W. Cary Street
- $1.99 per ticket
You know this is going to be quaint as all get out because they opted for some old-timey spelling. Celebrate Ashland’s strawberry harvest with a day spent enjoying great food (not just strawbz!), live music, kids activities, and a whole mess of pageants.
- Saturday, June 4th • 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Randolph Macon College, College Avenue and Henry Street in Ashland
- Free admission
This sounds like a lovely way to end the weekend: an evening spent at Deep Run Park listening to the Americana stylings of Justin Trawick. Granted, I don’t know a ton about Mr. Trawick, but from what I’ve sampled of his music, I don’t think you’ll be bringing home a squad of tweaked out kiddos that you’ll have to wrestle into bed once the night is over. Fresh air, live music, lawn chairs and picnic blankets as far as the eye can see? That’s the magic stuff of summertime, my friends.
- Sunday, June 5th • 5:00 – 8:00 PM
- Deep Run Park, 9900 Ridgefield Parkway
- Based on nothing, my brain has constructed a vary layered, dramatic relationship between local librarians and the facilities they steward. There’s lots of shout-whispering involved. Like, “Dennis, we need to get those Judy Moody books back on our shelves. It’s killing us. Call the Tuckahoe branch and find out if they have them-and don’t take any of their S-H-I-T, especially from that Linda. She’s had it out for me ever since we got tapped to get self checkout first. As if I make those decisions. Do you think I’d be sitting behind this desk on a Saturday if I had that kind of pull? I mean, REALLY.” ↩