Stephen “Dash” Brown, host of the Virginia-based local music podcast Community Service, and his wife, Ashley, have put together a collection of lullabies created by numerous Virginia musicians.
What do brand new parents do when they want to soothe their child to sleep, but are really tired of the same old boring songs? They create a brand new lullaby project!
In an effort to introduce their passion for local music as early as possible, Stephen “Dash” Brown, host of the Virginia-based local music podcast Community Service, and his wife, Ashley, have put together a collection of lullabies created by numerous Virginia musicians.
Since they already bring local musicians into their home to record for the Community Service podcast, they figured, why not ask the artists they love to create some kid-friendly tracks? More than 20 Virginia artists have created lullabies including Anousheh, Clair Morgan, Vexine, Lucy Dacus, and the Snowy Owls. The songs range from original lullabies to modern takes on the classics.
After the announcement that Stephen and Ashley’s baby, Quincy, had arrived, the Virginia Lullaby Project was released on February 21st as an episode of Community Service. It’s a unique podcast episode, in that it’s uninterrupted and without commentary, the perfect podcast for babies who’d rather be sleeping.
“We wanted the lullabies to be used as a continuous playlist so parents everywhere could simply turn it on as a tool for bedtime with their kids. We might as well get our kids into some cool music as early as we can,” Stephen says.
Get new episodes of the podcast by subscribing on iTunes, or just periodically checking back here.
Listen to the Virginia Lullaby Project below.
- Anousheh – Baa Baa Black Sheep
- Cutting Teeth – A Colorful World
- Antiphons – When You Wish Upon a Star
- The Tide Rose – Must Be Dreaming
- The Articles – Rockabye Baby
- Clair Morgan – Little One
- Jeremy White – Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- Jim Ivins – Miracle of Mine
- City of Spindles – Parachute
- Daniel Long – Somewhere Out There
- Lucy Dacus – Baby Blue
- Graveside Breakfast – The Skeleton Prince’s Lullaby
- Woodface – Somewhere Over The Rainbow
- The Snowy Owls – Sea of Sleep
- Vexine – Catherine’s Song
- Navaeh – Lullaby
- Herschel Stratego – You’re Pretty on the Inside
- The New Outliers – Golden Slumbers
- The Cyrenaics – Until the End of the Night
- Kevin DeAvies – Hush Little Baby
- Paul Wilson – Missira’s Lullaby
- The Echo Room – Rain Rain (Go Away)