And you thought February was just a month to eat boxed chocolate and cuddle! Sure, you can do all those things but look at all these things, too!
Photo by: ericwagner
Do you miss summer so much that you just want to jump into a pool even though it’s below freezing outside? At least, that’s what I can figure is the only reason for this insanity. Well, it’s also raising money for Special Olympics Virginia so I guess that makes sense too.
- Saturday, February 27th, 12:00 – 4:00 PM
- The Shops at Willow Lawn, 1601 Willow Lawn Drive
- Free to attend!
— ∮∮∮ —
What’s better than raising money for a good cause? Raising money for a good cause while eating a lot of chocolate. This month, the VMFA is hosting their annual Chocoholic event, a fundraiser for Family Lifeline. Somewhere in between all of the chocolate, baked goods, and desserts…hang on, give me a minute to stop drooling…there will also be wine (I know, just when you thought it couldn’t get any better), craft beer (of course), and a silent auction.
- Wednesday, February 3rd • 7:00 – 10:00 PM
- VMFA, 200 N. Boulevard
When you’re done spreading your compost and sorting your recyclables, hop in your hybrid car and check out these movies about this planet we all live on. Just kidding by the way, you can even come in your SUV. Or Hummer! No judgment. This event is free and open to the public.
- Monday, February 1st – Sunday, February 7th • see site for schedule
- See site for venues
Beads! Bands! Babies inside cakes! There’s no celebration quite like Mardi Gras. Watch the parade, listen to music, eat some crawfish (I think I made that part up but isn’t that something people do in New Orleans?) Party as if you’re about to give up something for 40 days!
- Saturday, February 6th • parade starts at 3:00 PM, main event starts at 4:00 PM
- Dogtown Dance Theatre, 109 W. 15th Street
- $75 for a float spot in the parade, free to attend. Tickets to Dogtown show are $15
This month, good ol’ University of Richmond is helping to bridge the cultural gap between us and China. For four days, they’re bringing us discussions, films, and arts-related events about the culture of China. Perfect if you have a strong interest in China; even more perfect if you don’t actually know that much about it, but want to learn.
- Thursday, February 11th – Sunday, February 14th • see site for schedule
- Various spots on the University of Richmond campus, see site for schedule
Why commit to a whole glass of wine when you can get a little pour of a bunch of wines? Enter: Virginia Wine Expo. Try a whole assortment of wines, plus snacks and meals. And a little craft beer will even manage to sneak itself in somehow. It always does.
- Wednesday, February 17th – Sunday, February 21st
- Greater Richmond Convention Center, 403 N. 3rd Street
- Various events, various prices!
If you’re not too wined-out from the Virginia Wine Expo (ha! Just kidding! As if!), take a gander up to Staunton to see what they have to offer. I’ll give you a hint, it’s wine.
- Saturday, February 20, 12:00 – 6:00 PM
- Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, 24 S. Market Street, Staunton
- $20 in advance/$25 at the door