5 Things for Families
Yes, I’ve seen the forecast. But we must press on, Richmonders. We must…press…on…
1. University of Richmond vs. St. Bonaventure
The first week back to school is kind of a drag, so why not celebrate being halfway through it with a night out? Head over to the Robins Center and watch as UR’s women’s basketball team takes on St. Bonaventure.
- Wednesday, January 7th • 7:00 PM
- Robins Center, University of Richmond
2. The Legend of the Poinsettia
Turns out the poinsettia isn’t just a plant you have to shriek at your children/pets to not eat! This production from the Latin Ballet of Virginia shares the Mexican legend of the poinsettia through the story of Maria, a little girl who, finding herself without a gift for the Baby Jesus, gives him the humble-but-heartfelt gift of a handful of weeds…that end up turning into beautiful red flowers.
- Thursday, January 8th through Sunday, January 11th • 10:30 AM, 3:00 PM, and 7:30 PM performances available; see website for specific show times
- The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, 2880 Mountain Road
- $20 for adults; $15 for children, students, and military
3. Big Book Giveaway
Free books! The Friends of Richmond Public Library invite you to bring your shopping bag and load up–either for yourself or maybe you’ve got a Little Free Library nearby that could use some replenishing.
- Friday, January 9th • 6:30 — 9:00 PM
- Richmond Public Library Main Branch (Mezzanine), 101 E. Franklin Street
4. Digging for Dinos
Kids ages four to eight are invited to put on their Paleontologist Hats and dig through sand to find fossils and answer questions like “How big is a T. rex’s tooth?” and “Did dinosaurs and cavemen live at the same time?”1
- Saturday, January 10th • 10:00 — 11:00 AM
- Maymont Nature Center, 2201 Shields Lake Court
- $8 per child; $6 for members (register online by January 9th!)
5. Family Day at Wilton House
Take a look at the Wilton House Museum’s current exhibit, Anywhere But Now, tour the property, and try your hand at crafts such as creating your own family crest.
- Saturday, January 10th • 1:00 — 2:00 PM
- Wilton House Museum, 215 S. Wilton Road
- $6 (reservations are preferred)
Photo by: USDAgov
- No. ↩
Report an error
Subscribe to our
Notice: Comments that are not conducive to an interesting and thoughtful conversation may be removed at the editor’s discretion.