If you survive a jump in the frigid river waters, you deserve to shower the rest of your weekend with song and sport.
1. Those Harvey Girls
Not to be confused with the 1946 film of a similar name, Those Harvey Girls is a feel-good musical about three black sisters growing up in the 1960s. Starring…those very sisters! One of those sisters–Cora Harvey Armstrong–may be a gospel legend, but all of those sisters have some serious pipes.
- Opening Thursday, January 29th • see site for times
- Swift Creek Mill Theatre, 17401 Jefferson Mill Theatre
- $38 for show only, $55 for show + buffet dinner beforehand!
2. Shiver in the River
Brave souls who feel strongly about the James River (does that description fit you?) will leap, pell-mell, throwing caution to the wind, straight into its welcoming arms. First, you’ll clean up the banks, then you’ll jump in (if you’re fundraising) (or if you’re just insane), and THEN you get some warm drinks and a cool festival! Relief-inspiring fact: You actually only have to get in up to your ankles.
- Saturday, January 31st • 12:00 PM
- Registration at Capital Ale House (623 E. Main Street) on Friday, and cleanup/shivering beginning on Saturday at Historic Tredegar (500 Tredegar Street)
- See site for fundraising amounts and suggestions
3. Artifacts Roadshow – Winter Edition
I love a good artifacts roadshow! And I especially love a good specific roadshow! And this one is about military stuff. The Virginia War Memorials own curator will give your old junk (or maybe treasures) a look-see and decide which one it is. You could be sitting on a goldmine! Or a landmine! Hopefully the former, but possibly in the form of the latter?
- Saturday, January 31st • 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Virginia War Memorial, 621 S. Belvidere Street
- Free to attend!
4. VCU vs. UR
Our very own Rams versus our very own Spiders…it makes me feel tense. I dislike the idea of everyone hating each other, but I also dislike the idea of missing this game, as there are sure to be some antics. Fans, be nice!
- Saturday, January 31st • 2:00 PM
- Stuart C. Siegel Center (but if you don’t have a ticket, you’ll need to catch it on ESPN2)
- The cost of finding a TV with cable
5. Arena Racing USA: Interstate Batteries 200
Arena Racing, the adorable and exciting miniature version of NASCAR, now embraces team spirit! Go to their new team page, and sign up there to support your local arena racer. Then your kids will get in free! And you’ll sit with your team! But you must do it by Friday night, or every arena racing car will turn into a pumpkin and each racer into a mouse.
- Saturday, January 31st • 6:00 PM for driver meet’n’greet, and 7:00 PM for the green flag!
- Coliseum, 601 E. Leigh Street
- $14 for adult, $8 (or free!) for kids
Photo by: dCultrera
Report an error
Subscribe to our
Notice: Comments that are not conducive to an interesting and thoughtful conversation may be removed at the editor’s discretion.