Eat up, Americans! The time is nigh to remember the anniversary of those smallpox blankets we were so keen to regift. Luckily, we persevered in our quest to populate the New World, otherwise we wouldn’t be around to experience all of these awesome things to do.
Unless I am way, way off, we all like movies a whole helluva lot. The VMFA aims to please, giving us an expansive exhibit that features the actual real-deal costumes from some of our favorite movies. And then, THEN, it treats us to really cheap screenings of all of the movies the exhibit honors. It’s possibly the best thing they’ve ever done (says I) and we should all take advantage of it instantly.
- See site for dates • and also times
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, 200 N. Boulevard
- $20 for exhibit (discounts available) and $5 per film or double feature (kids free!)
Not only are these two bands exciting enough to have their names in ALL CAPS, they are both dancey and fun and here to make our weekend amazing. Get tickets to either CHVRCHESor MGMT (you can preview both on Rdio if’n you wanna), shed your winter coat, let your hair down, and dance off all those mashed potatoes.
- Friday, November 29th & Saturday, November 30th • 8:00 PM
- The National, 708 E. Broad Street
- $20 in advance, $23 day-of (CHVRCHES) and $25 in advance, $30 day-of (MGMT)
Our beloved Rams take on Northeastern in a battle TO THE DEATH (if death means losing a basketball game, which to many it does). Watch them duke it out at the Siegel Center or on your own TV. Or the TV of a friend. Or the TV of a bar. I think you could probably find a TV, is what I’m saying.
- Friday, November 29th • 7:00 PM
- Stuart C. Siegel Center, 1200 W. Broad Street (or your TV set at CSN Plus, SNY, CBS 6.1)
- $25 or the cost of whatever those channels are!
There’s nothing the rest of us like better than hearing about guys growing beards for a month. I jest, I jest. It’s weird, and we don’t quite get what the deal is. Maybe because it’s Richmond and we invented beards? Walk your way through the history of the Great Virginia Beard at the VHS this Saturday and learn a thing or to about how handsomeness has evolved through the ages.
- Saturday, November 30th • 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 N. Boulevard
- $10 – $17
You know I’m talking about The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, I presume? That’s what I officially recommend, as it blew my mind and heart so hard that I saw it twice in one week. But if that’s not your scene, I don’t want to know you. Wait, that came out wrong. If that’s not your scene, try one of the many other movies that are gracing your local theaters right now, as Oscar hopeful season is in full bloom.
- Whenever you need to get out of the house • check local listings for times
- Your fave theater
- Around $10
Grand Illumination – Friday, December 6th
Art Karma – Thursday, December 5th
Genworth Symphony Pops: Let It Snow! – Saturday, December 7th – Sunday, December 8th
FREE Youth Concert Orchestra Performance – Sunday, December 8th
Improv Festivus – Saturday, December 14th
Midnight Suggestion Holiday Pageant feat. Jeff Simmermon – Friday, December 20th
Photo by: fotofrog