Celebrate Dad a day early with a screening of “The Sandlot” this Saturday, June 18th.
From The Byrd Theatre & Foundation:
Celebrate Dad this Father’s Day weekend and the “great American pastime” at our Family Classics premiere of The Sandlot, at the Byrd Theatre in Carytown. Join Richmond’s favorite mascot Nutzy, of the Flying Squirrels, at the theatre to take pictures, sign autographs and enjoy giveaways. Complimentary coffee will be served courtesy of Carytown’s Area 10 Faith Community. Put on your PF Flyers and head to the Byrd!
The past four weeks, the Byrd has introduced a new Saturday morning series with classic family films each Saturday, voted online by Richmond movie lovers. All Family Classics are preceded by a special performance by Bob Gulledge on the Mighty Wurlitzer and a classic Warner Brothers cartoon. Each event is offered at the regular $1.99 admission.
Previous shows featured The Wizard of Oz, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, The Goonies and Babe. The schedule now gets an extension through Summer:
- June 18: The Sandlot – 1993, age 8+
- June 25: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – 1968, age 6+
- July 2: Yankee Doodle Dandy – 1942, age 4+
- July 9: Shrek – 2001, age 6+
- July 16: Annie – 1982, age 6+
- July 23: My Neighbor Tortoro – 1988, age 5+
- July 30: Charlotte’s Web – 1973, age 5+
- August 6: Iron Giant – 1999, age 6+
- August 13: The Land Before Time – 1988, age 6+
- August 20: Charlie Chaplin’s The Kid & The Red Balloon – 1921/1957, age 7+
- August 27: The King & I – 1956, age 8+
- September 3: Willy Wonka – 1971, age 8+
- September 9: The Music Man – 1962, age 6+
The box office will open at 9:30 a.m. with events beginning at 10:00 a.m. Family Classics follow the regular admission price, just $1.99.
Fans are encouraged to continue suggesting additional Saturday titles and themes by visiting the Byrd Theatre website here.
Photo by: Joey Wharton