When it comes to my directive about these 5 Things, I’ve gotta quote the great Charlie Kelly: SO DO.
Photo by Jlhopgood.
If you’re not sick of Minions yet (or even if you are and your kids aren’t, which seems…probable, right?) there’s a chance to watch them together! Again! Yay!
- Friday, August 28th • 2:00 – 4:00 PM
- Westover Hills Library, 1408 Westover Hills Boulevard
2. Frog Slog
According to the State Park website, it’s Virginia’s “year of the frog” — who knew? Enjoy one of the last late-night activities before school nights pick back up by attending a Frog Slog at Pocahontas State Park. While the name may imply that it will be a slog, I’ll bet it’ll be the fun kind!
- Friday, August 28th • 8:30 – 9:30 PM
- Pocahontas State Park, 10301 State Park Road, Chesterfield
- $4 park admission/parking fee (no additional event fee)
Look, if fairs aren’t your thing, hear me out. This one has something called “MUTTON BUSTIN'” where kids ride sheep. And fall off the sheep. And everyone laughs and that is the event. The program catalog literally says this: “There are few moments in civilized society where it’s actually acceptable, and entertaining, to laugh at terrified children. The real entertaining part is the ‘Uh Oh!’ that washes over their faces when the sheep first leaves the gate!” One ticket please and thank you, SOLD.
- Friday, August 28th – September 5th (Mutton Busting takes place at 7:00 PM on Saturday August 29th)
- Chesterfield County Fairgrounds, 10300 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield
- Adults: $10; Children 4 – 12 $5; Children 3 and under: Free!
The Greater Richmond ARC, which serves individuals with developmental disabilities and their families, has completed their park for “all ages, all abilities” and now it gets to have its grand opening! The park has a treehouse, sensory wall, family bathrooms, and more, AND there will be hot dogs. Life doesn’t get much sweeter than that.
- Saturday, August 29th • 12:00 – 3:00 PM
- 3600 Saunders Avenue
If you’ve not entertained the thought of a Neil deGrasse Tyson 2016 ballot, I’m not sure why. Enjoy the world’s most charming astrophysicist as he narrates this big-screen exploration of deep space. Learn stuff before you go back to school to learn stuff!
- Playing through August 30th
- Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street
- $9, $5 for members