Big things going on this weekend. Huge.
1. Ani DiFranco
When I announced I was going to a women’s college, a lot of people asked me, “What, will you just like, listen to Ani DiFranco all the time?” Because women can only listen to other women! Scoff! Turns out, Ani was huge to many of my college friends–and many more besides! Thousands and thousands more! Still going strong, and the proud parent of more than 20 albums, Ani DiFranco does her thing at the National this very (Thursday) night.
- Monday, May 18th • 8:00 PM
- The National, 708 E. Broad Street
- $27.50 in adv, $30 at the door
2. Richmond Ballet’s Made in the USA: Traditions & Innovations (aka the best thing you will ever see)
I can’t even express how good this is, and so I won’t, because I already did.
- Thursday, May 14th & Friday, May 15th • 6:30 PM
- Richmond Ballet, 407 E. Canal Street
- Thursday, May 14th – Sunday, May 17th • see site for times
- Brown’s Island
- Free to attend!
I visited the preparations for the Lebanese Food Festival this week and was charmed and delighted and also hungry. It is in your best interest to check out this delicious cuisine and enjoy a breezy day upon their beautiful grounds.
- Friday, May 15th – Sunday, May 17th • 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM (8:00 PM on Sunday)
- St. Anthony Maronite Church, 4611 Sadler Road
- Free to attend, but the food costs money!
It’s just like it says–really big. Full of the MOST art by area youngsters, who are doing really inspiring things. A bold quote from the Art180 folks: “We’ve merged the best of the Jonny Z Festival, with Bizarre Market vendors, DJ Graybeard from WRIR 97.3fm, food trucks, art activities and more festival fun!” Whoa!
- Saturday, May 16th • 1:00 – 4:00 PM
- Abner Clay Park in Jackson Ward
Photo by: taberandrew