VCU used a 12-0 lead to propel itself past the Ducks of Oregon 77-63 Tuesday night.
#14 Virginia Commonwealth University outlasted Oregon 77-63 Tuesday night in the Legends Classic in Brooklyn, New York.
VCU started the game on a 12-0 run courtesy of 5-of-5 shooting before cooling off and letting the Ducks catch up. The Rams were far crisper in the half-court and rebounded better than in their loss to #12 Villanova, but 20 turnovers kept Oregon in the game until the final minutes.
After only scoring 4 points last night, Treveon Graham was particularly aggressive early as he scored 7 early points on 3-of-3 shooting, but picked up three first half fouls. He finished with 13 points in only 14 minutes of action.
All five starters scored in double figures including Melvin Johnson (19), Jordan Burgess (12), Briante Weber (11), and Mo Alie-Cox (10). JeQuan Lewis added nine points off of the bench.
The victory came less than 24 hours after the Rams lost a disappointing game to Villanova 77-53.
Top performer: Melvin Johnson
19 points, 4-7 2PFG, 3-6 3PFG, 4 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 TO
With Treveon Graham limited, Melvin Johnson scored early and often from all over the court. He was efficient beyond the arc, added a nice floater, and scored off of the glass. He has been the Rams best and most consistent player early this season.
- Treveon Graham was limited to just 33 minutes over the last two nights because of eight fouls including four charges on offense.
- Briante Weber tallied 10 assists tying his career high which dates back to 2012.
- VCU tightened up the rotation and only seven players saw double-digit minutes.
- After going 2-of-17 from 3-point range Monday, the Rams finished 7-of-17 on Tuesday.
- VCU is just 83-of-131 (.634) from the charity stripe this season.
VCU travels to rival Old Dominion on Saturday November 29th at 2:00 PM.
— ∮∮∮ —
— ∮∮∮ —