Dear This Weekend: I can’t wait for you to get here. Please pass my thanks along to the powers-that-be in Richmond who have helped make you so lovely. XOXO, Me.
Dear This Weekend,
I can’t wait for you to get here. Please pass my thanks along to the powers-that-be in Richmond who have helped make you so lovely.
1. Meteor Watch at Bryan Park
The Perseids meteor shower is supposed to hit its peak tonight, and the Richmond Astronomical Society has arranged a special skywatch for the public. Will anyone else be quoting this commercial while watching the shower?
- Thursday, August 12 (8pm)
- Bryan Park (4308 Hermitage Road)
2. VMFA Friday Films: Some Like it Hot
The the theme for VMFA’s film series this month is “Great Women of the Screen.” This week will celebrate the force that was/is Marilyn Monroe. In Some Like It Hot, she’s joined by Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon who are both hilarious and dressed in drag for a good portion of the film. There is no possible way to lose.
- Friday, August 13 (6:30pm to 9pm)
- Leslie Cheek Theater, VMFA (200 N. Boulevard)
- $7 ($5 for members)
3. A Prairie Home Companion Summer Love Tour
GARRISON KEILLOR? IN RICHMOND? Word is, in addition to an evening of “tender duets and ballads, poetry… and stories of passion and marriage,” Mr. Keillor will take a little stroll through the audience to sing “Unchained Melody” and “Can’t Help Falling In Love with You.” Be still my public radio-loving heart!
- Friday, August 13 (7pm)
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (1800 Lakeside Avenue)
4. DJ Carlito Presents “Asian 60’S Pop Night”
How can you resist music called “Pop Yeh Yeh”? It has to be fun. You can read more about DJ Carlito and what he’s up to here.
- Friday, August 13 (10:30pm to 2am)
- Balliceaux (203 N. Lombardy Street)
5. Filipino Festival
Now in its fifth year, this festival pays tribute to Filipino music, dance, and (of course) food. Not convinced yet? Take a look at the menu, for the love of Pete.
- Saturday, August 14 (10am to 8pm)
- Our Lady of Lourdes (8200 Woodman Road in Glen Allen)
- Free admission
None of these sound good? Check out our Events Calendar for more fun stuff going on around town.
As always, if you know of something that deserves a shout out, please do so in the comments OR submit it to the calendar yourself!
Report an error
Subscribe to our
There are 6 reader comments. Read them.