The Arts & Culture Xpo is finally here, just in time to boost our spirits after we experience the annual departure of Friday Cheers. Also, it’s Burger Week, and there’s a beer thing you should check out as well.
Photo by: Thomas Hawk
1. The Very Last Friday Cheers (for 2015, anyway)
Featuring the Wood Brothers and Son Little, this Friday Cheers is the last change you’ll get to jam out with oyur fellow Cheersies at Brown’s Island. I’d tell you more about the bands in question, but Ross says it better than I ever could.
- Friday, June 26th, • 6:00 PM
- Brown’s Island
One of the most magical, thought-provoking, and controversial Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals, opening at the Virginia Rep this weekend.
You must go!
- Saturday, June 26th – Sunday, August 9th • see site of times
- November Theatre, 114 W. Broad Street
- See site for ticket prices
Page Hayes, who enjoys taking her delightfully sharp daughter to these things, told us why in a piece she wrote for us a couple of weeks back. It’s a smorgasbord of everything arty and culture-y there is to do in this town, and you will in no way leave the Xpo without being fully entertained and maybe even surprised.
- Saturday, June 27th • 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Science Museum of Virginia, Thalhimer Pavilion, 2500 W. Broad Street
4. Eat a Burger
Style Weekly’s genius Burger Week puts you in the way of many cheap burgers around town. Not, like, cheaply made, but cheaply priced for your consumption. Grab this passport and get them all! That would be so many burgers in one week! My question to you, Style, is: Could you please put together Pizza Week? Followed by Dessert Week? I LOVE YOUR WEEKS.
- Through Sunday, June 28th • whenever you feel like chowing down!
- At participating dining establishments
If you’re like me, you spend your days surrounded by people who are constantly complaining that they are not drinking beer. At least, this Sunday morning, your ears will be blessedly free of the hoppy whining. Send ’em all to the Ardent Beer Brunch, which tempts with “brunch-ey ice cream sandwiches” and Pizza Tonight breakfast pizzas. And, of course, the magic elixir that shuts all the whiners up. At least until it makes them start to ramble.
- Sunday, June 28th • 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Ardent Craft Ales, 3200 W. Leigh Street
- Free entry, you just pay for the stuff!