Someone fed this weekend after midnight. It has become the enhanced version of itself, and cannot be contained. Sports and history and ballet and Ira Flinging Flanging Glass. Oh and the Bizarre Flinging Flanging Bazaar.
1. VCU Rams vs. Ohio St. Buckeyes (and also other March Madness games)
It’s pins and needles for Rams fans as they make their first (valiant and challenging) charge for the 2015 NCAA championship. Although they won last weekend’s A-10 tournament looking sharp and confident, will their victory high be enough to carry them through this difficult match-up and onto the next round?? Hope you made your bracket, because it’s March Madness time!
- Thursday, March 19th • 4:40 PM
- Brownie points you’ve been saving up, because you’ll need to leave work a little early
The historic house museums in the RVA area drop their admission fees and welcome young and old to learn as much as they can in an unlimited fashion over the course of the weekend! This passport is your ticket to a jaunty “I got in freeeeeeee” walk through very old doors and into the past. Bring me back Socrates, dude!
- Saturday, March 21st – Sunday, March 22nd • see individual museum pages for hours
- Check our piece for the full listing of participating houses
A whirlwind choreography-a-thon (choreothon, choreograthon, choreographanalia, choreographael…whatever) produces four premieres of new works, which are much shinier than old works. That’s not at all true, of course, but they ARE really, really fun to watch. Often bracingly expressive, sometimes really funny, and more than just occasionally an instant classic, these pieces are my favorite part of the season.
- Through Sunday, March 22nd • see site for showtimes
- Richmond Ballet Studio Theatre, 407 E. Canal Street
- $21 – $41
IT IS THE BIZ BAZ! AUGHHHHH! CLEAR YOUR CALENDARS FOR THE MOST POPULAR CRAFT EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!
- Friday, March 20th – Sunday, March 22nd • see site for times
- Richmond Raceway Complex, 600 E. Laburnum Avenue
- Various ticket options and prices
Did this one slip by anyone else? Maybe I was too busy shouting “BIZ BAZ” to hear everyone else shouting “IRA GLASS,” because GUYS, Ira Glass will be speaking, courtesy of the Modlin Center, at Carpenter Theater, about how he does his mega-popular radio show, This American Life. And, he’ll be doing it in the format of TAL featuring clips of TAL! TAL! TAL! TAL!
- Saturday, March 21st • 7:30 PM
- Carpenter Theatre, 600 E. Grace Street
- $47 with lots of discounts
Yet again, there are too many things this week, and that’s a good problem to have. Another good problem to have would be Too Many Doughnuts, but I don’t see anyone breaking down my door to give me that particular headache. Here are some more things I couldn’t fit into the above list:
- VaHomeschoolers Conference & Resource Fair • Friday, March 20th – Saturday, March 21st
- Church Hill Irish Festival • Saturday, March 21st – Sunday, March 22nd
- Bolshoi Ballet: Romeo & Juliet • Sunday, March 22nd
- Reel Paddling Film Festival • Saturday, March 21st
- Comfort Zone’s Grief Relief Gala • Saturday, March 21st
- Ipanema Cafe’s Vegetarian Beer Dinner • Sunday, March 22nd
Photos by: Will Weaver