Berry sales continue! Plus a bit of news from the grocery store scene.
If there is such a thing as buzz in the local grocery market, you could say Richmond is buzzing this week with the annual release of Food World‘s study of area grocery shopping habits (See the Richmond Times-Dispatch story for complete number run-down). Food Lion retains its top spot in the market,* with a small drop in market percentage, while Kroger and Walmart both made headway increasing market share.
Much of the discussion revolves around MARTIN’S, which posted a small decrease from 15.64 to 15.16 percent. Essentially, the Food World report furnishes an excuse for Richmonders to re-visit laments about the loss of Ukrop’s, and its wonderful quality and service.
Can you believe it’s been over a year since the Ukrop’s switch? Are you one of the shoppers who has made a switch away from MARTIN’S?
Meat Top Pick
- Hillshire Farm Deli Select lunch meat 5oz $1 at Kroger
Veggie Top Pick
- Red slicer tomatoes $.99/lb at Kroger
Fruit Top Pick
- Blackberries or raspberries (6oz) $1.67 at Kroger, and organic blackberries $2.99 at Whole Foods
Refrigerated Top Pick
- Breakstone’s Zesty Blends sour cream $1.34 at MARTIN’s.
Use $1/1 from 6/19 SmartSource insert to make it $.34
Staples Top Picks
- Ortega taco seasoning $0.67 at MARTIN’S.
Use “$0.50 off 2” coupon from 4-17 SmartSource insert
Snacks & Sweets Top Pick
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish $1 at Kroger.
Campbell’s Kitchen has a $.35 printable Goldfish Grahams coupon, making them $.30/bag.
Beverage Top Pick
- Powerade or Powerade Zero $.69 at Kroger.
Also $.69 at MARTIN’S, but only when purchasing 10. Lesser quantities $1
Household Top Pick
- Cottonelle bathroom tissue 12 double rolls $4.99 at Kroger when purchasing any 5 participating Mega Event items.
$.50 printable coupon available when registering with Cottonelle.com.
* I am not a Food Kitty fan, if you were curious. In addition to being underwhelmed with quality of produce and the like, I always encounter the most atrocious checkout lines and only one open cashier. (Regardless of my bias, the reason Food Lion sales are not included in this column is that the sale schedule runs from Wednesday to Tuesday, so I’m don’t know about them prior to deadline).