This weekend is cool (First Friday and the Israeli Film Festival), beautiful (Dogwood Dance Project), and so, so weird (the Balinese monkey chant)! Stay warm by keeping busy!
I am so bummed that I have to miss this, I can barely type. Everyone, just go to the JCC and learn something about Israeli films. It’s an up-and-coming film industry that’s fascinating to watch as it evolves. Then you’ll have some opportunities for discussion and even more learning and such, but even if that wasn’t there…MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES!
- Thursday, January 8th – Sunday, January 11th • see site for schedule
- Weinstein Jewish Community Center, 5403 Monument Avenue
- $12 per film, or $42 for all four films (discounts for members)
It’s back! January 2015 gets two First Fridays for being extra special. Look for cool new happenin’s at Candela, ART 180, and 1708 Gallery for starters. You can huddle together with other humans in these galleries for stimulating art chats and also for survival. It is too cold outside.
- Friday, January 9th • 5:00ish PM
- See map
- Free to attend!
My sources tell me that Corey Harris is a guy to see, if you like the blues. And if you don’t like the blues, then that means you have never known sadness. And if you have never known sadness, I have a documentary for you. It is called Dear Zachary. Now you have no reason to be so smugly superior to the rest of us humans with emotions. Also, Susan Greenbaum plays Carole King, and Imaginary Sons release a new album at The Camel.
- Click right here for dates and times
- Click right here for venues
- And click right in this other place for pricing info. Just kidding, it is the same link.
Dance! It’s as old as the body itself (or is it? I have no idea when people started dancing), yet it continues to evolve! Just as the body does (does it? I need like, a scientist to sit next to me and check my facts). I enjoy the fact that we have some independent dance organizations in town that aren’t afraid to push the envelope, try new things, and showcase young talent. Dogwood is one of these, and it’s as good to support their efforts as it is to indulge in some fun things to look at.
- Saturday, January 10th • 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
- Dogtown Dance Theatre, 109 W. 15th Street
I’m sorry, but this is possibly the best Thing ever to appear in the humble digital pages of this tangle of 1s and 0s. At this free workshop, given by Gamelan Raga Kusuma, you can learn the Balinese “Monkey Chant.” And for the next three minutes, you can be mesmerized by a video of what you are about to learn.
- Sunday, January 10th • 3:00 PM
- UR Downtown, 626 E. Broad Street
Photo by: Carbon Arc