The Saturday Morning Petersburg Farmer’s Market
Authored by Guest Contributor Charles W. Redden (Chuck) Hippocrates once said, “Let food be your medicine.” After our Memorial Day weekend Saturday morning visit to the Petersburg Farmer’s Market, I can completely understand what he meant. We bought some of the best tasting beets, broccoli, yellow squash, green onions, and eggs that I have […]
Authored by Guest Contributor Charles W. Redden (Chuck)
Hippocrates once said, “Let food be your medicine.” After our Memorial Day weekend Saturday morning visit to the Petersburg Farmer’s Market, I can completely understand what he meant. We bought some of the best tasting beets, broccoli, yellow squash, green onions, and eggs that I have tasted in a LONG time. Fruits and vegetables that are grown locally and picked when perfectly ripe have enhanced taste, texture, and aroma. The prices were comparable, if not lower, than what you might find at any of the chain grocery or ‘Big Box’ stores for local or organic produce.
No matter where you like to shop, it is indisputable that locally grown produce is healthier and tastier. Not only can you get freshly picked (sometimes that morning) fruits and vegetables, but often fresh baked goods; local hand-made items like bamboo stools or soaps; fresh cut flowers; local, fresh meats (Mr. Giannotti of Dolce Vita Farm was a wealth of information); a wide variety of fresh eggs (I confess I loved the green hued eggs I got from Cardinal Hill Farms), as well as assorted plants and flowers. You might even get a new recipe idea – I know I did. I never thought about shredding squash and adding it to spaghetti sauce until my visit to the market recently! A creative new way of getting more vegetables into your diet you say. Sign me up please!
Local farmers and producers are rewarded with higher profits; urban areas benefit from revitalized areas and an increased sense of community; direct contact between consumers and growers and producers. You also get that feel good sensation inside because you’re helping save energy and the environment. Studies have shown that before reaching your table, the average food item will travel between 1300 to 1500 miles. Only about 10% of the fossil fuel energy goes into the actual production of the food, the other 90% goes into transportation, marketing, and transportation of the food. Shopping at our local farmers market goes a long way in cutting down on wasted energy – if you bring your own bags it helps the environment even more.
The Petersburg Farmers Market is located under the Martin Luther King Bridge at River Street – Click here for a map
The market is typically operated on Saturday mornings from 7 AM to 12 PM May thru October and the vendors only accept cash, so make sure to hit an ATM before stopping by.
Report an error
Subscribe to our
This article has been closed to further comments.