Summertime snack recipes
- 2 c rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons. butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- I also like to add some almond or peanut butter – I stir it in when the butter and honey melt together (see below).
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a bowl, combine oats, sugars, cinnamon, raisins and almonds. Toss to mix.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter, add honey, and stir to blend.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir to blend.
- Spread it out on a baking sheet.
- Bake granola until golden and just browning, about 25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- Granola will not be crunchy until it starts to cool after coming out of the oven.
- I often stir it once or twice while it’s baking, just to make sure it is heating evenly.
- Never just make one batch. It’s too good.
Peanut Butter Fruit Dip
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Puree’ in a food processor or blender, chill for 20 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9” by 5” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.