Here’s a quick primer for tonight’s VCU game versus University of Alabama at Birmingham. It’s everything you need to know to go into the game feeling prepared–and remember, winning is all about preparation.
- What: VCU Rams (7-3) host UAB Blazers (2-6)
- Where: The Stuart C. Siegel Center
- When: December 20, 7:30pm
— ∮∮∮ —
UAB is one of the few teams that leads VCU in an all-time series. UAB leads 16-22 and they have won five of the last six. In 2008 the Blazers beat the Rams at the Siegel Center in the first round of the NIT tournament. The Blazers are young, so VCU will have an opportunity to beat a team that they have historically struggled against.
Senior Cameron Moore knows what it feels like to win–and he knows how. He’s averaging 14.4 points, 10 rebounds, and four blocks on the season. At 6-10 his experience could challenge the defensive skills of Juvonte Reddic and D.J. Haley.
Mike Davis coached at Indiana University and led the team to the National Championship game in 2002. As his success dwindled, he resigned and moved to his home state of Alabama. His team is young but Davis is 2-1 against the Rams including that win in the Siegel Center.
- If VCU sells out the Sigel Center, it will tie the conference record for consecutive sell-outs at eight.
- When Bradford Burgess starts tonight he will tie Michael Brown’s (’81-’84) record for consecutive starts. Burgess has started all 121 games in his career as a Ram.
Ken Pomeroy picks VCU to win 65-54 with an 86% chance of victory.
The Rams have won their past four games by an average of 20.75 points per game. UAB is averaging 15.25 turnovers per game, and they will likely struggle against the Rams stingy defense. Don’t be surprised it the Rams win by more than 11 points.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Location: Birmingham, Alabama
- Conference: Conference USA
- All time series: UAB leads 16-22
- Last meeting: UAB won 65-68.
- Student Enrollment:17,345
To stay up to date on all things VCU Basketball related, follow @rvaRAMnews on twitter