Your Flying Squirrels are half a game out of first place! With an upcoming six game home stretch, first place is in sight!
Another strong week for Richmond as they won five out of seven on the road. The only problem is that Harrisburg also played well. Richmond is now in 2nd place, sitting a 1/2 game back of the Senators. Bowie remains a mere 1/2 game behind Richmond. With an upcoming six game home stand where they are 37-18, it looks as if this Richmond could finally launch themselves into first place.
@ Erie Sea Wolves
The series started against Tigers’ Top Prospect, Jacob Turner, and it was solo home runs by Wes Hodges and Scharlon Schoop that helped propel the Flying Squirrels to a 3-2 win. Game two was a nightmare as Erie plated 14 runs against Clayton Tanner, Daryl Maday and company. Justin Fitzgerald was solid in seven innings of work, giving up only two runs (one earned). Meanwhile, the offense put together a strong 7th to seal the 4-2 win.
@ Trenton Thunder
Richmond took it to the prized Yankee prospect Dellin Betances in the opener. A five run 6th inning propelled the Squirrels to the 8-3 win. In game two, Eric Surkamp pitched well, but it was Chris Dominguez solo shot in the 8th that made the difference in the 3-2 victory. Richmond’s bullpen faltered mightily in the 3rd game as Trenton batters managed 13 runs of them to seal the 17-5 win. In the series finale, Clayton Tanner rebounded from a poor previous outing to with eight shutout innings and secure the series for Richmond.
vs New Hampshire Fisher Cats
The Fisher Cats are entering the series after a rough stretch. They went 4-6 over the last ten games, yet they still set atop the Eastern Division standings. Richmond native and Deep Run star Deck McGuire will be making the start tonight vs The Flying Squirrels. McGuire is making his second start in AA where he won his first game after giving up three runs over seven innings. McGuire’s battery mate, Travis d’Arnaud, is currently on a tear over the past ten games. He is batting .333 with 2 HR and 9 RBI.
vs Portland Sea Dogs
The Sea Dogs will start the week in Bowie, before heading south to Richmond. They currently have the 2nd worst record in the Eastern League. That doesn’t mean they aren’t potent. Chih-Hsien Chiang is gone to Jackson, so Will Middlebrooks will be stepping it up. He is currently hitting a respectable .300 with 14 HRs on the season. Look for righty, Alex Wilson, to give the Squirrels a challenge from the mound. He is having a solid season with an 8-4 and a 2.87 ERA.
Squirrels to watch
- Chuck Lofgren–This 25-year-old lefty was once the #2 prospect for the Cleveland Indians organization. Since being called up from San Jose, he has been lights out for the Squirrels. 2-0, 0.78 ERA, and 10 K’s.
- Wes Hodges–The IB is on fire. He has hit in seven straight games. In six of those games he recorded multiple hits. Over the last ten games, he is carrying a .486 BA, although most of the hits are for singles.
This week at The Diamond
- Tuesday–The infamous (that is more than famous) Phillie Fanatic is making an appearance at the Diamond. I suggest that you do push it off the upper deck.
- Wednesday—Zinger Bobblehead Giveaway. The Acorn already has a huge head. Not sure how it can get any bigger.
- Thursday–Boom goes the Fireworks!
- Friday–Wrestling Legend- Ted “The Million Dollar Man” Dibiase will be making an appearance. This guy is one mean dude. Be very careful.
- Saturday–Former Redskins legend Brian Mitchell will be making an appearance.
- Sunday—Get your Nutzy Bank