Over 40,000 runners, walkers, and spectators are expected at the 13th annual Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k on Saturday. Below we have a rundown of what you need to know for the big race day–including what streets will be closed and when!
— ∮∮∮ —
Race Day Schedule
- 6:45 – 9:30 AM • Times-Dispatch Dress Up & Run Contest check-in at Monroe Park
- 7:30 AM – 1:30 PM • Bike Valet service available in parking deck at Laurel & Grace Street
- 7:30 AM • Blessing of the Runners at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
- 7:30 AM – 1:00 PM • Amica Insurance Bag Check available in Monroe Park (Laurel & Main Street)
- 8:00 AM • Virginia 529 Kids Run starts on Cathedral Place near Laurel Street
- 8:30 AM • Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k start–in waves at Broad Street & Harrison Street
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM • SUBWAY Post Race Festival at Monroe Park
- 9:45 AM • Awards Ceremony
— ∮∮∮ —
Road closings & Parking
Here’s a list of no parking areas and street closures to keep in mind:
- 3:00 PM • No parking in effect on Franklin Street from Shafer to Belvidere
- 3:00 PM • No parking in effect on Broad Street (Belvidere to Lombardy)
- 4:00 PM • Towing starts on Franklin Street between Laurel and Belvidere
- 5:00 PM • Franklin Street closed between Laurel and Belvidere through 3:00 PM Saturday
- 4:00 AM – 12:00 PM • Broad Street – CLOSED from Lombardy east to Belvidere
- 4:00 AM – 2:00 PM • Kent Road – CLOSED from Whythe to Monument Avenue
- 4:00 AM – 2:30 PM • W. Franklin Street – CLOSED from Laurel to Stuart Circle
- 4:00 AM – 3:00 PM • N. Laurel Street – CLOSED from Main to Broad streets
- 4:00 AM – 3:00 PM • Cathedral Place – CLOSED from Laurel to Shafer Court
- 4:00 AM – 2:00 PM • Harrison Street — CLOSED from Park to Marshall
- 5:00 AM – 1:00 PM • Chantilly Street – CLOSED from Monumental to Monument
- 5:00 AM -3:00 PM • Canal Street – CLOSED from Belvidere to 2nd Street
- 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM • Park Avenue – CLOSED from Shafer to Lombardy
- 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM • exit ramp from Westbound I-195 to Belvidere – CLOSED
- 7:00 – 9:00 AM • Hanover Avenue – CLOSED from Plum to Lombardy
- 7:00 – 12:00 PM • Grace Street – CLOSED from Belvidere to Allen
- 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM • Lombardy Street – CLOSED from Broad to Hanover
- 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM • Monument Avenue – CLOSED from Staples Mill to Stuart Circle
- 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM • Franklin Street – CLOSED from Lombardy to Harrison
- 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM • Boulevard – CLOSED at Monument Avenue
Make sure you avoid the Belvidere exits off I-95 and I-195. Motorists should use I-95 & I-195 around the city.
WINN Transportation is offering race day shuttle service. The pickup locations are at City Stadium and The Diamond. However, you must purchase a ticket ($5) at the Health & Fitness Expo during packet pickup hours. There’s also free bike valet service at the VCU parking deck at the corner of Laurel and Grace streets, available only to registered runners.
— ∮∮∮ —
Procedure & Waves
A full list of wave start times are here.
Here’s the Race Day procedure:
- Pin your bib to the front of your shirt, where it’s most visible. You must wear your bib to be admitted into the start corral.
- Report to the Start on Broad Street. Waves will extend from the Start Line (at Harrison) all the way back towards Belvidere Street.
- Find the volunteer holding the sign with the letter corresponding to prefix on your bib (e.g. If your bib number is B1244, then look for the “Wave B” sign). The volunteer will walk your group into the start corral as your start time approaches.
— ∮∮∮ —
- Listen to all pre-race instructions. They’ll guide you through the course and keep you safe.
- Pin your race number on the front of your shirt, where it’s visible to officials and photographers.
- Get credit for your race: B-tags (timing devices) remain on your bib, so take good care of it and wear it on your lower abdomen.
On the Course
- Run or walk no more than two abreast. If you are walking in a group, stay in the back of the pack and leave room for others to pass on your left when possible.
- Aid stations:
- Move to the side of the road to grab water from a volunteer, and keep moving.
- If you want to stop: grab a drink, move beyond the station, and stop on the SIDE of the road away from the other runners.
- Use a trash receptacle when possible. If there are none available, drop it on the road nearthe station.
- Remember, there are 40,000+ people around you! If you need to stop, move to the side of the road to: spit, throw up, etc; tie your shoe; use the rest room–in a port-a-john please!
- Feel free to shout words of encouragement to others around you!
- Be alert and expect the unexpected. Think loose dogs, lost kids, low branches, and looming potholes.
- Non-registered friends and relatives are not permitted to run with you in a race. They can cheer you on from the side of the road.
Finish Line/Post Race
- Don’t stop suddenly at the finish – you will cause a collision with those behind you. Keep moving through the finish chute and exit into Monroe Park.
- Enjoy the post-race refreshments, but don’t be a piggy! Remember, the last finishers need refreshments, too. This food is for participants only–not friends and family.
Info taken from the Monument 10k website.